Shorts

Shorts presents news briefs about current and forthcoming programs, events, exhibits and activities of historical and cultural institutions in Pennsylvania.

Heritage Day, the tenth annual Mennonite folk festival featuring demonstrations of colonial period and rural crafts, will be hosted by the Hans Herr House on Saturday, August 12 [1989], from 9 A.M. to 4 P.M. The day-long event also includes demonstrations of farming equipment and meth­ods, as well as educational workshops and presentations. The 1719 historic house mu­seum is located five miles south of Lancaster. For more information, write: Hans Herr House, 1849 Hans Herr Dr., Willow Street, PA 17584; or telephone (717) 464-4438. There is an admission charge.

 

A group show featuring four Pennsylvania artists rec­ognized for special merit dur­ing the 1988 annual juried exhibition at the Allentown Art Museum will remain on view through October 22 [1989] at the Lehigh Valley museum. Works include neon sculptures by Ted Ormai, Kutztown; metal sculp­tures by Harold J. Nothstein, Weissport; abstract paintings by Neysa Grassi, Ardmore; and mixed media, three di­mensional pieces by Charles M. Cohen, Easton. Additional information may be obtained by writing: Allentown Art Museum, Fifth and Court Sts., P.O. Box 117, Allentown, PA 18105; or by telephoning (215) 432-4333. Admission is free, but contributions are welcome.

 

“James Buchanan’s Wheat­land: Everyday Life in a Presi­dent’s Household,” an exhibit recently installed in the car­riage house of Wheatland, complements the guided tours of the Lancaster County land­mark. Using period artifacts, objects, documents and photo­graphs, the exhibit explores the daily life at Wheatland, which served as Buchanan’s residence from 1849 to 1868 (see “Bookshelf,” spring 1989, which features a review of James Buchanan’s Wheatland by Sally Smith Cahalan). The exhibition – which will be on view through November 30 [1989] – deals with parlor pleasures, dining delights and the mak­ing of a president. For more information, write: Wheat­land, 1120 Marietta Ave., Lan­caster, PA 117603; or telephone (717) 392-8721. Admission is charged.

 

On Sunday, August 13 [1989], the Lenni-Lenape Historical Soci­ety will present its annual Roasting Ears of Com Food Fest with reenactments of traditional Native American ceremonies, arts and crafts demonstrations and walks of the museum grounds. To ob­tain additional information, write: Lenni-Lenape Historical Society, Fish Hatchery Rd., R. D. 2, Allentown, PA 18103; or telephone (215) 797-2121 or 434-6819.

 

Commemorating the two hundred and twenty-sixth anniversary of the Battle of Bushy Run, a battle reenact­ment and encampment of the British, French and Indian forces that fought during the French and Indian War, will be held at Bushy Run Battlefield during the weekend of August 5-6 [1989]. The two day event fea­tures tactical representations of fighting of the period, drilling demonstrations and battlefield. tours. Additional information is available by writing: Bushy Run Battlefield, Bushy Run Rd., Jeannette, PA 15644; or by telephoning (412) 527-5584.

 

Jamison City – once a thriv­ing community and now a “ghost town” – will be the site of a centennial celebration from Saturday through Tues­day, July 1-4 [1989]. The celebration will be highlighted by walking tours, a special history exhibit, a quilt auction and crafts displays. Visiting hours are 10 A.M. to 4 P.M. daily. For more information, write: Jamison City Centennial Celebra­tion, Box 239, R.D. 2, Benton, PA 17814; or telephone (717) 925-2630.

 

A military reenactment recalling Civil War period maneuvers, including camp life, drills, patrols and skir­mishes, will be staged by the Colonial Pennsylvania Planta­tion during the weekend of July 22-23 [1989]. Visiting hours are 10 A.M. to 5 P.M. Additional information is available by writing: Colonial Pennsylvania Plantation, Ridley Creek State Park, Media, PA 19063; or by telephoning (215) 566-1725. There is an admission fee.

 

Opening Sunday, July 2 [1989], at the Monroe County Historical Society is an exhibit entitled “The Right Touch: Fashion Accessories of the Late Nine­teenth and Early Twentieth Centuries.” The exhibit will showcase accessories that once were an integral part of a woman’s wardrobe, such as delicate lace collars, fans, ornate hair combs, fur muffs, parasols and stickpins. The objects will be accompanied by illustrations selected from period fashion magazines. “The Right Touch” will remain on view through September 30. For more information, write: Monroe County Histori­cal Society, 900 Main St., Stroudsburg, PA 18360; or telephone (717) 421-7703. There is no admission fee.

 

“Whiskey Rebellion Day” will be conducted by the Oli­ver Miller Homestead, located in the South Park area of Pitts­burgh, on Sunday, July 16 [1989]. To obtain additional information, write: Oliver Miller Home­stead Associates, 5263 Meadowgreen Dr., Pittsburgh, PA 15236; or telephone (412) 835-1554. The historic house is open Sundays, from 1 to 4 P.M.

 

The month of August will be observed as Senior Citizen Month at the eighteenth cen­tury Bradford House, which will offer special discounted admission prices to eligible visitors. To obtain more de­tails, write: Bradford House, 175 South Main St., P. O. Box 537, Washington, PA 15301; or telephone (412) 222-3604.

 

During the weekend of July 15-16 [1989], Settler’s Day Ethnic Celebration, commemorating the pioneers who helped form the nation, will be hosted by Old Bedford Village. The event features interpretations of early music, parades and demonstrations of traditional arts and crafts. For. more infor­mation, write: Old Bedford Village, P. O. Box 1976, Bed­ford, PA 15522; or telephone (814) 623-1156. There is an admission charge.

 

Appraisal Day, during which visitors may seek expert advice on the value of antiques and artworks, will be con­ducted by the Westmoreland Museum of Art on Saturday, July 8 [1989]. Hours are 10 A.M. to 3 P.M.; a nominal fee will be charged. For more informa­tion, write: Westmoreland Museum of Art, 221 North Main St., Greensburg, PA 15601; or telephone (412) 834-6770.

 

“W. Elmer Schofield: Proud Painter of the Modest Lands,” an exhibit of paintings by this New Hope School painter, will be on view at the Palmer Museum of Art at the Pennsylva­nia State University, State College, through Sunday, July 30 [1989]. Rendered in an im­pressionistic style, the works­-executed about the turn of the century – were selected from an Allentown private collec­tion. Additional information may be obtained by writing: Palmer Museum of Art, Curtin Rd., University Park, PA 16802; or by telephoning (814) 865-7672. Admission is free.

 

Paintings by Jacob Eichholtz, furniture by George Henkels, a recently discovered sketch of George Washington by Ben­jamin Henry Latrobe, and an array of silver, pottery and porcelain, jewelry and paint­ings make up an exciting ex­hibit, “Treasures from the Attic,” mounted by the Histor­ical Society of Dauphin County. The largest exhibition ever staged by the historical society, “Treasures” features selections from its vast hold­ings, including many pieces never before publicly shown. The exhibit, continuing through the remainder of this year [1989], has been installed in the society’s landmark structure, the John Harris/Simon Ca­meron Mansion overlooking the Susquehanna River. For more details, write: Historical Society of Dauphin County, 219 South Front St., Harris­burg, PA 17104; or telephone (717) 233-3462. There is a fee for admission.

 

This year’s Pennsylvania Birthday Party will be cele­brated at Carpenter’s Hall on Saturday, June 24 [1989]. For com­plete program details, write: The Carpenters’ Company of the City and County of Phila­delphia, 320 Chestnut St., Philadelphia, PA 19106.

 

Opening Sunday, July 8 [1989], at the Erie Art Museum is an exhibition entitled “Teco: Art Pottery of the Prairie School.” Teco Ware, known by its dis­tinctive glaze and innovative design, was designed by sev­eral of the distinguished Prairie School architects and manu­factured by the American Terra Cotta and Ceramic Company. The exhibit will continue through October 1 [1989]. For addi­tional information, write: Erie Art Museum, 411 State St., Erie, PA 16501; or telephone (814) 459-5477. There is a charge for admission.

 

“The Paintings of Stephen Etnier, 1903-1984,” featuring the works of the nationally acclaimed York artist whose paintings are collected by institutions throughout the nation, including the Metro­politan Museum of Art, is on view through November 22 [1989] at the Historical Society of York County. The exhibition – the first devoted exclusively to Etnier’s paintings – primarily includes landscapes and sea­scapes. The show is accompa­nied by a catalogue. For more information, write: Historical Society of York County, 250 East Market St., York, PA 17403; or telephone (717) 848-1587. Admission is charged.

 

Citizens Preserving Penn­sylvania’s Past, a newly orga­nized statewide coalition, is seeking citizen and commu­nity input concerning state financial support for historic sites, structures and buildings throughout the Common­wealth. Pennsylvania is home to thousands of historic prop­erties, nearly two thousand of which are entered in the Na­tional Register of Historic Places, and many of which are in need of preservation assist­ance. Additional information regarding the organization may be obtained by writing: Citizens Preserving Pennsylva­nia’s Past, Pennsylvania Feder­ation of Historical Societies, P. O. Box 1026, Harrisburg, PA 17108-1026.

 

From 1917 to 1921, Philadel­phia’s Hog Island shipyard was the largest in the world; its work force of more than forty-four thousand employ­ees turned out a cargo ship every thirty-six hours for the war effort! Drawing from its collection of more than two thousand photographs, the Atwater Kent Museum has opened a major exhibit, “Hog Island: The Photography of Work,” that examines the nat­ure of work at one of the city’s most important twentieth century industrial sites. “Hog Island” continues through October [1989]. For additional infor­mation, write: Atwater Kent Museum, 15 South Seventh St., Philadelphia, PA 19106; or telephone (215) 922-3031.

 

“Changing Shapes: Wom­en’s Fashions, 1875-1930,” tracing the dramatic change that occurred in women’s cloth­ing during a fifty year period, is on view at the Hershey Museum of American Life through September 17 [1989]. Through representative cos­tumes of eight distinctive periods, the transformation from the tightly-corseted, artificially curvaceous look of the late nineteenth century to the linear figure of the Roaring Twenties will be chronicled. Prints, photographs, patterns and illustrations drawn from fashion magazines will accom­pany the clothing samples. To obtain more information, write: Hershey Museum of American Life, 170 West Hershey Park Dr., Hershey, PA 17033; or telephone (717) 534- 3439. There is an admission fee.

 

“Discover Architecture,” a special tour and presentation of the Albert Gallatin Home­stead, Friendship Hill, will be offered on Saturdays, July 15 [1989] and August 20 [1989]. The event, which begins at 2 P.M., will look at the discoveries uncov­ered during an architectural study and ongoing restoration work. Additional information is available by writing: Friend­ship Hill NHS, National Park Service, Box 149-A, R.D. 1, Point Marion, PA 15474; or telephone (412) 725-9190.

 

Between 1871 and 1929, Philadelphia planned and substantially executed a grand scheme to build a broad Park­way. The Philadelphia Mu­seum of Art houses nearly two hundred architectural draw­ings that document the city’s important contribution to the “City Beautiful” movement, tracing the development of the Parkway as the intended site of major cultural and commercial monuments which literally culminated in the building of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, completed in 1928. “Build­ing the City Beautiful: The Benjamin Franklin Parkway and the Philadelphia Museum of Art,” on view from August 19 [1989] through October 29 [1989], traces the history of the Parkway as one of the “City Beautiful” movement’s most notable successes. In­cluded in the exhibit will be photographs, drawings and models. For more information, write: Philadelphia Museum of Art, Parkway at 26th St., Phila­delphia, PA 19101; or tele­phone (215) 763-8100. Admission is charged.

 

“Craft and Community: Traditional Craftsmanship in Contemporary Society;’ an exhibit coordinated by the Balch Institute for Ethnic Studies and the Pennsylvania Heritage Affairs Commission will tour through spring 1991. The exhibit showcases contem­porary crafts in Pennsylvania representing ethnic, occupa­tional and regional traditions. Locations and dates for the traveling show are: Roberson Center for Arts and Sciences, Binghamton, New York, July 8-September 8 [1989]; Hershey Museum of American Life, October 28-December 30 [1989]; Erie Art Museum, February 12-April 13, 1990; Palmer Mu­seum of Art, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, May 22-July 22 [1989]; Carnegie Museum, Pittsburgh, August 29-November 2 [1989]; and Old Bedford Village, January 10-March 18, 1991. For more information, write: Penn­sylvania Heritage Affairs Com­mission, 309 Forum Building, Harrisburg, PA 17120; or tele­phone (717) 783-8625.

 

The Bradford Landmark Society will host the Crook Farm Country Fair at the re­stored nineteenth century farmstead, located one mile north of Bradford, during the weekend of August 26-27 [1989]. To obtain further details, write: Bradford Landmark Society, 45 East Corydon St., Bradford, PA 16701; or telephone (814) 362-3906 or 362-3230. Admis­sion is free.

 

Traditional crafts classes will be offered by Pennypacker Mills this summer at the Montgomery County historic house-museum. Basket mak­ing classes will be offered on Saturdays, July 15 [1989] and August 19 [1989]; a fraktur painting class will be given on Satur­day, July 15. Pre-registration is required for both courses. For more details, write: Penny­packer Mills, 5 Haldeman Rd., Schwenksville, PA 19473; or telephone (215) 287-9349.

 

The first major exhibit in more than sixty years of a leading nineteenth century American artist, “John Neagle: Philadelphia Portrait Painter,” is on view through Saturday, July 29 [1989], at The Historical Society of Pennsylvania. Thirty paintings, including Patrick Lyon at the Forge, Gilbert Stuart, Henry Clay and the double portrait of Native Americans Caussetongua and Sharitarische, and a selection of recently acquired archival materials from Neagle’s jour­nals, scrapbooks, notebooks and related objects are dis­played. For more information, write: The Historical Society of Pennsylvania, 1300 Locust St., Philadelphia, PA 19107; or telephone (215) 732-6201. Ad­mission is free.

 

Kunstfest, a nineteenth century crafts festival­ – featuring role players imper­sonating characters of the Harmony Society – will be held the weekend of July 15-16 [1989] at Old Economy Village. In addition to the costumed guides and crafts demonstra­tors, tours will be offered of the George and Frederick Rapp House. For additional information, write: Old Econ­omy Village, Fourth and Church Sts., Ambridge, PA 15003; or telephone (412) 266-1803. There is an admission fee.

 

Commemorating the one hundred and twenty-sixth anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg, the seventh an­nual Gettysburg Civil War Heritage Days will run from Friday, June 30 [1989], through Sun­day, July 9 [1989]. The event features lectures by the nation’s fore­most historians, a salute to the bicentennial of the presidency, a collectors show, a book sale and a commemorative Inde­pendence Day ceremony. For more information, write: Gettysburg Travel Council, 35 Carlisle St., Gettysburg, PA 17325; or telephone (717) 334-6274.