Shorts

Shorts presents news briefs about current and forthcoming programs, events, exhibits and activities of historical and cultural institutions in Pennsylvania.

“A Brandywine Spring,” examining the many faces of spring in the Brandywine Valley will be open to the pub­lic from Saturday, March 25 [1989], through Sunday, May 21 [1989], at the Brandywine River Mu­seum in Chadds Ford. Works of fifteen artists – including William Langston Lathrop, George Cope, Walter Elmer Schofield and members of the Wyeth family – will reflect the artists’ wide-ranging imagina­tion and versatility in inter­preting the beauty and richness of the season in the Brandywine Valley. Additional information may be obtained by writing: Brandywine River Museum, P. O. Box 141, Chadds Ford, PA 19317; or by telephoning (215) 388-7601.

 

The eleventh annual Con­ference on Historic Preserva­tion, sponsored by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, will be held in Pittsburgh from Thurs­day through Saturday, April 26-29 [1989]. Workshop topics will concentrate on Pennsylvania’s prodigious industrial past, including the technologies that have significantly contributed to the Commonwealth’s econ­omy and the adaptive re-use of sites and structures associated with industry and commerce. For additional information, write: Bureau for Historic Preservation, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Com­mission, Harrisburg, PA 17108-1026; or telephone (717) 787-4363.

 

Tours of a number of resi­dences spanning several peri­ods throughout the Harmony-Zelienople area will be offered by the Harmony Museum on Saturday, May 13 [1989], from 10 A.M. to 5 P.M. Open to visitors will also be an early nineteenth century Harmony Society mill, which has been rehabilitated as a private dwelling, and three Harmony Museum structures. For more information, write: Harmony Museum, Main and Mercer Sts., Harmony, PA 16037; or telephone (412) 452-7341. There is a reservation fee.

 

An exhibit entitled “Graphic Poems: Monotypes and Other Monographs by Harry Bertoia” will be on view at the Allentown Art Museum of the Lehigh Valley from April 2 [1989] through May 28 [1989]. Penn­sylvanian Harry Bertoia (1915- 1978), best known as a sculptor and designer of chairs that bear his name, explored throughout his career ideas and imagery in graphics that combine elements of drawing, monoprint and inventive man­ipulation of traditional media. “Graphic Poems,” the first exhibit to survey the range of Bertoia’s graphics, features nearly eighty pieces dating from the 1940s through the late 1970s. For more information, write: Allentown Art Museum, Fifth and Court Sts., P. O. Box 117, Allentown, PA 18105; or telephone (215) 432-4333. Ad­mission is free, but donations are welcome.

 

A tour of five private gar­dens in the Swarthmore­-Wallingford area of southeastern Pennsylvania will be conducted by the Scott Arboretum of Swarthmore College on Sunday, May 14 [1989], from 1 to 5 P.M. Additional details are available by writing: Scott Arboretum, Swarthmore College, Swarthmore, PA 19081; or telephone (215) 328-8025.

 

“Fiberfest,” a day-long program highlighted by dem­onstrations of sheep-shearing and herding, will illustrate how various animal fibers, such as those of goat, sheep and rabbit, are processed for use in the home. Sponsored by the Historical and Genea­logical Society of Somerset County and the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Com­mission, the program will be held on Sunday, May 28 [1989], at the Somerset Historical Center in Somerset. To obtain more information, write: Somerset Historical Center, Box 238, R. D. 2, Somerset, PA 15501; or telephone (814) 445-6077.

 

More than one hundred antique and contemporary quilts and wall hangings will be on view the weekend of May 6-7 [1989] during the Boyertown Area Historical Society’s an­nual quilt show. Admission is charged. Additional informa­tion is available by writing: Boyertown Area Historical Society, 43 South Chestnut St., Boyertown, PA 19512; or by telephoning (215) 367-9843.

 

“J. Edgar Thompson, Rail­road Pioneer,” will be pre­sented by members of the Pennsylvania Railroad Techni­cal and Historical Society during the Tuesday, April 18 [1989], meeting of the Springfield Historical Society. The meet­ing will begin at 7:30 P.M. For more information, write: Springfield Historical Society, P.O. Box 1686, Springfield, PA 19064; or telephone (215) 544- 2713 or 328-0720.

 

Opening Saturday, April 15 [1989], the sixty-first annual juried exhibition of the Art Associa­tion of Harrisburg will feature works from throughout the country, as well as entries of foreign countries. The exhibit will continue through Satur­day, May 20. More information is available by writing: Art Association of Harrisburg, 21 North Front St., Harrisburg, PA 17101; or by telephoning (717) 236-1432.

 

A biennial showcase pre­senting the works of several of the Lehigh Valley’s most dis­tinguished artists and art teachers, “Area Artists: 1989,” will be on view at the Lehigh University Art Galleries dur­ing the months of March and April [1989]. On view will be ce­ramics, sculpture, paintings and photographs. For addi­tional information, write: Lehigh University Art Gal­leries, Chandler-Ullman Hall, Bethlehem, PA 18015; or tele­phone (215) 758-3615.

 

The 1989 annual juried exhibition of the Philadelphia Guild of Handweavers will be on view at Cliveden, the his­toric house of jurist Benjamin Chew, from Sunday, April 2 [1989], through Friday, May 26 [1989]. Addi­tional information may be obtained by writing: Cliveden, The National Trust for Historic Preservation, 6401 German­town Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19144; or by telephoning (215) 848-1777.

 

During the weekend of April 22-23 [1989], a quilt show will be co-sponsored by the High­lands Historical Society and the County Line Quilters at The Highlands in Fort Wash­ington. Built by Anthony Morris in 1795-1798, The High­lands was a country house used for extensive entertain­ing. In addition to antique and modern quilts from private collections, the show will feature “first” quilts by guild members. For more informa­tion, write: Highlands Histori­cal Society, 7001 Sheaff Ln., Fort Washington, PA 19034; or telephone (215) 641-2687.

 

Old fashioned musical entertainment, demonstrations of early crafts, children’s games and “hands on” activi­ties will all be a part of the Landis Valley Fair during the weekend of June 3-4 [1989] at the Landis Valley Museum, Lan­caster. Additional information may be obtained by writing: Landis Valley Museum, 2451 Kissel Hill Rd., Lancaster, PA 17601; or by telephoning (717) 569-0401.

 

Women’s History Month [1989] at Hope Lodge will be celebrated with exhibits on the life of Alice Degn, the last private owner of the Montgomery County historic site. Together with her husband William, Alice Degn restored Hope Lodge in the 1930s and en­sured that it would serve the public as a historic house mu­seum. To obtain additional information, write: Hope Lodge, 553 Bethlehem Pike, Fort Washington, PA 19034; or telephone (215) 646-1595 or 646-1641. There is an admis­sion charge.

 

“Spring Steam Up,” a dem­onstration of large and small gas engines, antique tractors and steam traction engines, will be held at the Rough and Tumble Museum in Kinzers on Saturday and Sunday, May 12-1 [1989]3. Exhibits will also explore plowing and mowing with related equipment. Additional information is available by writing: Rough and Tumble Museum, P. O. Box 9, Kinzers, PA 17535; or by telephoning (717) 442-4249. The museum is located thirteen miles east of Lancaster.

 

On view through Septem­ber [1989] at the Atwater Kent Mu­seum, Philadelphia, is an exhibit entitled “Building Phil­adelphia’s City Hall, 1871-1901.” For three decades, the construction of this huge mar­ble structure dominated the public’s attention and its com­pletion marked the city’s tran­sition from a local provincial government to a modern bu­reaucratic municipality. This exhibit examines the aesthetic, technological and political factors associated with the building of this grand public monument. To obtain addi­tional information about this interpretive exhibit, write: Atwater Kent Museum, 15 South Seventh St., Philadel­phia, PA 19106; or telephone (215)686-3630. Admission is free.

 

Nearly two hundred years ago, on the present site of Philadelphia’s City Hall, stood a Greek temple of technology – the nation’s first waterworks system. To explore Philadelphia’s early quest for a clean, reliable water source, the Historical Society of Penn­sylvania has mounted an exhibition entitled “A Suffi­ciency of Wholesome Water: The Philadelphia Centre Square Waterworks.” On view through June 30 [1989], the exhibit includes architectural draw­ings, paintings and water­colors, pamphlets and artifacts relating to the predecessor of the Fairmount Waterworks. “A Sufficiency of Wholesome Water” also examines the role of architect and engineer Ben­jamin Henry Latrobe and his assistant, Frederick Graff. For more information, write: His­torical Society of Pennsylva­nia, 1300 Locust St., Philadelphia, PA 19107; or telephone (215) 732-6200. There is no admission charge.

 

The Westmoreland Mu­seum of Art, Greensburg, will open an exhibition entitled “A Sampler of American Folk Art from the Pennsylvania Collec­tion” on Sunday, April 2 [1989]. “A Sampler” will continue through Sunday, July 9 [1989]. To obtain additional information, write: Westmoreland Museum of Art, 221 North Main St., Greensburg, PA 15601; or telephone (412) 834-6770. Ad­mission is free.

 

“Samuel H. Crone, 1858-1913: Drawings and Water­colors by an American Artist Abroad,” a retrospective exhi­bition of the work of an artist trained in Germany, will re­main on view through Sunday, March 26 [1989], at the Carnegie Museum of Art. Influenced by European traditions, Crone – who spent his last years as a resident of Pittsburgh­ – mirrored the interests of his day with historical genre and portraiture, as well as topo­graphical and ideal landscape. For more information, write: Carnegie Museum of Art, 4440 Forbes Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15213; or telephone (412) 622-3328.

 

Fete Days, the annual tours of colonial period gardens and Federal style houses, will be hosted by the Elfreth’s Alley Association, Philadelphia, during the weekend of June 3-4 [1989]. Continuously occupied since 1713, Elfreth’s Alley has offered a neighborhood open house since 1934. For more details, write: Elfreth’s Alley Association, 126 Elfreth’s Al­ley, Philadelphia, PA 19106; or telephone (215) 574-0560.

 

National Preservation Week will be celebrated the week of May 14-20 [1989] by numer­ous local historic preservation organizations throughout Pennsylvania. For additional information regarding this year’s observance, write: Na­tional Trust for Historic Preser­vation, 1785 Massachusetts Ave., N.W., Washington, D.C. 20036; or telephone (202) 673-4296.

 

On dates to be announced this spring, the Heritage Cen­ter of Lancaster County will conduct “Quilt Harvests” in the communities of Ephrata, New Holland, Lancaster and Goodville through June [1989]. The public is invited to bring quilts, pieced bags, doll and crib quilts, quilted bonnets and related items made in Lancaster County prior to 1942. Owners are asked to bring information about the objects for documentation, such as the name and resi­dence of maker (if known) and the history and use of the item. The quilts and related pieces will be photographed for future reference and study. For additional information regarding the “Quilt Har­vests,” write: Heritage Center of Lancaster County, Penn Square, Box 997, Lancaster, PA 17603; or telephone (717) 299-6440.

 

“Naturally Fond of Pictures: American illustrations of the 1840s and 1850s,” on exhibit at the Library Company of Phila­delphia from Tuesday, April 18 [1989], through Friday, August 25 [1989], explores a period in American book and periodical illustra­tion that has largely been ignored by historians. In addi­tion to several landmark publi­cations, such as the first edition of Uncle Tom’s Cabin and the 1840-1844 octavo edi­tion of John James Audubon’s Birds of America, “Naturally Fond of Pictures” will include comic almanacs, advertise­ments, etchings, children’s books, women’s periodicals and sheet music. For more information, write: The Li­brary Company of Philadel­phia, 1314 Locust St., Philadelphia, PA 19107; or telephone (215) 546-3181. There is no admission charge.

 

The Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts is presenting, through Sunday, April 16 [1989], the works of Mary Frank, one of America’s most innovative sculptors and printmakers. Renowned for her clay sculp­ture, the artist has become increasingly well known for her monoprints and drawings, sculpture in bronze and plas­ter, paintings on metal plates and collages. For more infor­mation, write: Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Broad and Cherry Sts., Phila­delphia, PA 19102; or tele­phone (215) 972-7642.

 

On Saturday and Sunday, May 13-14 [1989], the Mercer Mu­seum Folk Fest will be spon­sored by the Bucks County Historical Society in Doyles­town. Town and country crafts of the eighteenth and nine­teenth centuries will be dem­onstrated by more than ninety artisans using clay, fibers, paint, wood and metal. The Folk Fest also features tradi­tional music and dancing, a quilting bee, militia encamp­ment, old fashioned medicine show and “hands on” crafts for children. For more infor­mation, write: Bucks County Historical Society, Pine St., Doylestown, PA 18901; or telephone (215) 345-0210. There is an admission fee.

 

“Lamb to Loom,” the story of wool with demonstrations and displays, will be con­ducted by the Westmoreland County Historical Society at Hanna’s Town on Sunday, May 21 [1989]. The day-long event offers the opportunity to see first-hand the carding and spinning of wool, yarn dyeing and weaving. For more infor­mation, write: Westmoreland County Historical Society, 102 North Main St., Greensburg, PA 15601; or telephone (412) 836-1800. Hanna’s Town is located three miles north of Greensburg.

 

“Artists of the ’80s: Selected Works from the Maslow Col­lection” will be exhibit at the Sordoni Art Gallery of Wilkes College, Wilkes-Barre, from Sunday, April 9 [1989], through Sun­day, May 7 [1989]. Additional infor­mation is available by writing: Sordoni Art Gallery, 150 South River St., Wilkes-Barre, PA 18766; or by telephoning (717) 824-4651. There is no admis­sion fee.

 

Altoona, Blair County, will be the site of the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Com­mission’s twelfth annual Con­ference on Black History on Friday and Saturday, May 5-6 [1989]. The theme of this year’s event is “Black History in Central Pennsylvania.” For registration information, write: 1989 Con­ference on Black History, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, P. O. Box 1026, Harrisburg, PA 17108-1026; or telephone (717) 783-5376.

 

A “Village Fair” will be held at Old Bedford Village during the weekend of May 20-21 [1989] at the living history complex. For more information, write: Bed­ford County Travel Promotion Agency, P. O. Box 1771, Bed­ford, PA 15522; or telephone (814) 623-1771. There is an admission fee.

 

Opening Tuesday, April 4 [1989], and continuing through Fri­day, June 30 [1989], at the Monroe County Historical Society in Stroudsburg is an exhibition entitled “The New Jersey Con­nection.” The exhibit examines Monroe County’s relationship to New Jersey and the heritage shared by both Pennsylvania and its neighbor across the Delaware River. To obtain additional information, write: Monroe County Historical Society, Stroud Mansion, 900 Main St., Stroudsburg, PA 18360; or telephone (717) 421-7703. Admission is free.