Museums and Properties

Museums and Historic Sites presents news and information about the historic sites and museums of PHMC.

Old Mill Village

Old Mill Village is on Pennsylvania Route 848, one mile from New Milford. New Milford is located just west of Inter­state 81 at Exit 67, between Scranton, Pa., and Binghamton, N.Y. It is administered by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission in cooperation with the Old Mill Village Museum Associates, Inc.

 

Governor to Dedicate Railroad Museum

Governor Milton J. Shapp will dedicate the new Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania at Strasburg on September 10. The dedication will be covered in the next issue of Penn­sylvania Heritage.

The museum, administered by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, has had well over 150,000 visitors since its opening last spring.

A college professor, Dr. Kenneth R. Maurer, became the 100,000th visitor to the museum on July 10, 1975. His wife Margaret became the 100,001st visitor. Dr. Maurer is professor of church history at the Evangelical School of Theol­ogy, Myerstown.

George M. Hart, director of the museum, gave the couple a special tour that included a visit to the private car of the president of Western Maryland Railroad.

 

New Seasonal Pass

The Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission has initiated a new seasonal pass for families. A family purchasing the Seasonal Family Pass for $10.00 can, during that calendar year, make any number of visits to any historic property with an admission fee at no additional charge.

In addition, the family will receive free a one-year subscription to Pennsylvania Heritage. A subscription is $2.00 yearly.

The pass is now available for the 1975 season by sending a check for $10.00, made payable to the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission to: Gilbert J. Lupp, dministrative Services, PHMC, P.O. Box 1026, Harrisburg 17120.

 

Count Pulaski Honored

The Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission will erect an historical marker on September 13 honoring Count Casimir Pulaski. The Commission will erect the marker on Old U.S. Highway Route 1 (Baltimore Pike) near Brandywine Battlefield State Park. This was the site where the Polish general underwent his baptism of fire in the American Revolution.

Pulaski participated in the Battle of Brandywine on September 11, 1777. The battle occurred before the Conti­nental Congress had had time to act on General Washing­ton’s recommendation that the expert horseman be made the first commander of the cavalry.

Governor Milton J. Shapp strongly recommended the marker for the Bicentennial observance to honor Pulaski and to recognize his heroic association with this Pennsylvania battlefield of the Revolutionary War.

 

Patriot’s Day at Boone Homestead

The annual Patriot’s Day observance was held in June at the Daniel Boone Homestead in Berks County.

The new Visitors’ Center at the property was opened with a flag-raising ceremony of the American and Pennsyl­vania flags. United States Senator Hugh Scott of Philadelphia spoke at the ceremony and presented an American flag flown over the Capitol in Washington, D.C.

Patriot’s Day is an annual observance sponsored by the Daniel Boone National Foundation with the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. Dr. Lawrence S. Thur­man is curator of the homestead. Dr. Jack R. Wennerstein is foundation president.