Mailbox features classified advertisements related to Pennsylvania history.

On March 18, 1811, Gov. Simon Snyder approved an act of the legislature for the creation of Schuylkill County from parts of Northampton and Berks counties. A map of Pennsylvania by John Melish, dated 1822, shows a “Kaups Creek,” a tributary of the Little Schuylkill River, to the east of Orwigsburg (which served as the county seat until 1851). Information regarding this creek is sought for ongoing research documenting the settlement and early development of this area, particularly historical background about the individuals or family for whom the stream was named, the year it was so designated, and whether or not it still exists. Also helpful would be the whereabouts of other early nineteenth century maps showing Kaups (or Kaup’s) Creek. Correspondence may be directed to: Elizabeth Kaup O’Malley, 218 West Broad St., Tamaqua, PA 18252; telephone (717) 668-2201.

 

Fall 1994 marks the three hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the birth of Pennsylvania founder William Penn. Born in London on October 24, 1644, Penn established Pennsylvania, his beloved “Holy Experiment,” in 1681, after the territory was granted to him by Great Britain’s King Charles II. For a liberally illustrated article devoted to the iconography of William Penn, a regular contributor to Pennsylvania Heritage is seeking examples of portraits of William Penn as they appeared on official documents and records, as well as on ephemera and objects, such as stock certificates, advertising premiums, and commemorative souve­nirs. Artists’ likenesses of Penn were popular for many years, and this article will showcase these portraits as they developed, evolved, and changed through time. Readers able to provide memorabilia or objects bearing portraits of William Penn are urged to write: William C. Kashatus III, 3461 West Queen Ln., Philadelphia, PA 19129; or telephone (215) 848-1997.

 

The Historical Society of Pennsylvania is seeking donations and loans of twentieth century objects and artifacts representing Philadelphia’s center-city neighborhoods, businesses, architec­ture, street life, and popular culture as part of a recently launched program entitled “Collecting for the Future.” The society is seeking store signs, festival banners, personal narra­tives, neighborhood newsletters, advertising premiums, fraternal organization memorabilia, and restaurant menus from the city’s Society Hill, Old City, Washington Square, Franklin Bridge North, Chinatown, Logan Square, South Street, and Rittenhouse Square sections. Persons or organizations able to assist with this project are asked to write: “Collecting for the Future,” Historical Society of Pennsylvania, 1300 Locust St., Philadelphia, PA 19107; or telephone (215) 732-6200 or 732-6201.

 

Founded in 1731 as part of an almshouse serving Philadelphia’s indigent, Philadelphia General Hospital had become, by the close of the nineteenth century, an internationally recognized clinical teaching and research center, a major pro­vider of public health services, and one of the city’s largest employers. Many Philadelphians trained or received care at the hospital before it closed in 1977. “The Philadelphia General Hospital History Project” has recently been initiated to ensure that hospital records held in the collections of the city archives and area historical organizations are preserved and made accessible to researchers. The project will also develop a library of recorded interviews with hospital personnel and patients, and mount a traveling exhibit and accompanying video documen­tary. Individuals and institutions able to share photographs, memorabilia, records, and special stories of Philadelphia General Hospital are urged to write: Janet Tighe, PGH History Task Force, University of Pennsylvania, 420 Guardian Dr., Philadel­phia, PA 19104-6096; or telephone (215) 898-4502.