Mailbox features classified advertisements related to Pennsylvania history.

The work of photographer José B. Alemany of Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, and Provincetown, Massachusetts, is cur­rently the subject of research. Alemany not only photographed landscapes and industrial scenes, but created modern and sen­sual images distinctive for the use of light and dramatic shadow, as well as for the fluidity of forms. He showed at the Gulf Gal­leries and the Kingsley House in Pittsburgh, as well as in exhibi­tions conducted by the Greater Pittsburgh Photography Society and the Miniature Camera Club of Pittsburgh. His work was exhibited at the Kodak Building of the New York World’s Fair in 1939 and the Second Western Pennsylvania Salon of Photogra­phy in Pittsburgh in 1940. Alemany’s photographs are known to have been published in the Pittsburgh Press in the late 1930s. Individuals and institutions able to share information about the photographer are encouraged to write: Julian S. Yupcavage, 315 South Centre St., Pottsville, PA 17901; or telephone (717) 628-4034.

 

The topic of Pennsylvania German child-rearing practices between 1750 and 1900 – including the use of diapers, toys, train­ing for work, and type of clothing – is currently being researched by: Elizabeth Johnson, Museum Educator, Landis Valley Mu­seum, 2451 Kissel Hill Rd., Lancaster, PA 17601; telephone (717) 569-0401.

 

The Boyertown Area Historical Society, established in 1972, is seeking family genealogies, church and cemetery records, high school yearbooks, photographs, post cards, and business histo­ries of the Boyertown area of both Berks and Montgomery coun­ties. Correspondence should be directed to: Clara P. Hoss, Librarian, Boyertown Area Historical Society, 43 South Chestnut St., Boyertown, PA 19512; or telephone (215) 367-5255.

 

In 1994, Rock Ford Plantation, Lancaster, will mount a major exhibition devoted to Gen. Edward Hand (1744-1802), his wife Katherine Ewing Hand (1751-1805), and their Georgian-style mansion which stands on the bank of the Conestoga River. Gen­eral Hand joined the Continental Army as lieutenant colonel of the First Battalion of Pennsylvania Riflemen. He led troops at Boston, Long Island, and Trenton, and became adjutant general to George Washington in 1781. His estate inventory of Rock Ford, to which he moved in 1793, has been instrumental in locating specific objects and in furnishing the historic house museum. Exhibition organizers are seeking letters, documents, furnish­ings, and artifacts owned by the Hands, in addition to informa­tion regarding descendants of the Hand family. Information is being collected by: Lockett Ford Ballard, Jr., Executive Director, Rock Ford Plantation, P. O. Box 264, 881 Rock Ford Rd., Lancas­ter, PA 17603; telephone (717) 392-7223.

 

To commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of World War II, the Chester County Historical Society is developing an exhibition tentatively entitled “Off to War: The Mobilization of Chester County, 1941-1945.” Scheduled to open in fall 1994, the exhibition will examine the ways in which World War II affected virtually every countian. Needed for study – and possible inclusion in “Off to War” – are photographs, recollections, and souvenirs of participants who remained on the homefront during the war years. Individuals interested in sharing memories or artifacts are asked to write: Meg Bleecker Blades, Curator, Chester County Historical Society, 225 North High St., West Chester, PA 19380; or telephone (215) 692-4800.