Historical Highlights

Historical Societies: News and Highlights presents news and information about Pennsylvania's regional and county historical societies.

William E. Collier, secretary of the Perkasie Historical Society, has gathered 7,000 colored slides on 60 separate subjects with data accompanying each slide. He lectures on the subjects in area schools, colleges and clubs. The society is working to secure its own museum in Perkasie.

The Cambria County Historical Society has purchased an Ebensburg property and is converting it into a museum and headquarters for the society. Frank J. Castelli is president of the group which recently celebrated its fiftieth anniversary.

Learning modules for teaching the history of Clinton County to school children and civic groups were previewed at the Heisey Museum in Lock Haven. The modules are being developed by the Lock Haven Chapter, American Association of University Women; the Heritage Committee and the Clinton County Historical Society.

Effingham Perot Humphrey, Jr. is the new editor of the Pennsylvania Genealogical Magazine. The following directors were elected to a term of three years at the annual meeting of the Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania: George CarousĀ­so, Elwyn F. Chase, Effingham P. Humphrey, Jr. and Bertram L. O’Neill.

The Hanover Area Historical Society dedicated the Neas House at High and Chestnut Streets at Hanover’s 1976 Bicentennial kick-off celebration. The house was the residence of George Neas (Nace), first mayor of Hanover Borough. It has been owned by Miss Helen Krug and Miss Catherine Fleagle since 1959. The house, built in 1795, is listed in the 1974 edition of the National Register of Historic Places.

The Historical Society of Berks County cooperated with a major exhibition of Pennsylvania Folk Art held Oct. 20 – Dec. 1 by the Allentown Art Museum. The society is lending fifteen articles, examples of eighteenth and nineteenth century folk art or craftsmanship.

The Historical Society of York County has created a special memorial in honor of Robert P. Turner, past president. Money from the memorial will be used to encourage study of local history by youth of the community and/or for continuing staff education when it relates to the York County history.

The Chester County Historical Society has published its first issue of Chester County History and invites members and historians to submit articles to the publication committee for consideration. Society headquarters are at 225 North High St., West Chester 18333.

The Pennsylvania Society of New England Women celebrated its seventy-fifth anniversary with a luncheon at the Sedgeley Club, Philadelphia. The society was founded Feb. 11, 1899, in Philadelphia Members are descendants of New England ancestors or are of New England birth.

Members of the Apollo Area Historical Society recently planted a Pin Oak tree in memory of Andrew Tomko, a society member who died recently. The tree was planted on the east slope of lawn surrounding the Drake Log Cabin, which is owned by the society and maintained as a historical landmark.

The Clarion County Historical Society members participated in the Autumn Leaf Festival. Directors have approved an official seal for the society. The seal depicts a stylized iron furnace, commemorating the fact that Clarion County was once called “The Iron County.”

The Greene County Historical Society recently observed the third anniversary of the opening of its museum, located on old Route 21, three miles east of Waynesburg.

The Salem Crossroads Historical Restoration Society and residents of Delmont held their first annual Bygone Days Festival. The festival featured demonstrations of industrial arts and home crafts typical of the mid-1800’s when Salem Crossroads was a major western Pennsylvania transportation center.

The Cumberland County Historical Society, founded in 1874, began a second century with a $235,000 expansion program at its library and museum in Carlisle. A two-story addition to the building is estimated to double present facilities. Included is a 175-seat auditorium for society meetings and community use. Robert Grant Crist is president of the society.

Jamestown (Mercer County) residents plan to form a historical society. Darryl Pinney has been elected chairman. Pinney, Miss Barbara Olsson and Mrs. John Anderson drafted a constitution for the group. The new organization hopes to assist the Jamestown Study Class with compiling a history of Jamestown.

The Greene County Historical Society honored Gordon B. Wood, Waynesburg, by naming him as the society’s first honorary permanent director. Wood joined the society shortly after It was founded, is a past president and was one of the prime movers in the society.

Old Economy is offering a series of craft classes that began in September. Classes are sponsored by the Harmonie Associates, Inc. Mrs. R. W. Dunn, Beaver, is supervisor.

 

Editor’s Note: We would appreciate officers of historical societies notifying us when there ls a change so that our malling list can be kept current.