News

Ten Named To State Advisory Board Governor Milton J. Shapp has appointed ten archivists and historians in the state to serve as members of the State Historical Records Advisory Board for the Commonwealth. The Governor established the non-salaried board as part of the machinery required of states desiring to participate in the federal program, administered by the National Historical Publications...
read more

News and Notes

On the Cover The Flash Lighthouse, now under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Coast Guard, was built between 1872 and 1873 along the north shore of Presque Isle Peninsula. The landmark was named for the alternating red and white flashing light which once sat atop the rower seventy-three feet above the surface of Lake Erie. Today, however, the flashing colored light has been replaced by a rotating...
read more

News and Notes

On the Cover The cover illustrates a fundamental step in the steel making pro­cess at the Basic Oxygen Furnace Shop in the Steel Division Plant of the Sharon Steel Corporation, Farrell. The worker stands on the teeming aisle, as the catwalk is called, while a ladle pours just tapped steel into ingot molds. These reusable molds partially shape the steel into its first solid form. After the molds...
read more

News and Notes

York Inter-State Fair The York Inter-State Fair was honored on September 10 [1978] with the official historical marker. Dr. Homer T. Rosenberger, member of the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, presented the marker to fair president, Glenn E. Bailey, on behalf of the Commission. Robert J. Sugarman acted as President Carter’s representative at the dedication.   Visitors...
read more

Pennsylvania Governors Residences Open to the Public

Pennypacker Mills Pennypacker Mills possesses a lengthy history dating to about 1720 when Hans Jost Hite built the fieldstone house and a gristmill near the Perkiomen Creek, Schwenksville, Montgomery County. Purchased in 1747 by Peter Pennypacker (1710-1770), the house was enlarged and a saw mill and a fulling mill were constructed. The property acquired its name for the three mills. Peter...
read more

2013 PHMC By the Numbers Infographic

Each year the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, co-publisher of Pennsylvania Heritage magazine with the Pennsylvania Heritage Foundation, produces an annual report detailing its activities. In order to highlight some of our most interesting achievements and to quantify our successes we’ve put together a snapshot of these activities in the form of this infographic. Infographics are...
read more

News

Ancestry.com Pennsylvania In an innovative partnership with Ancestry.com the Pennsylvania State Archives is making family history records available free of charge to Commonwealth residents. Ancestry.com began digitizing selected collections held by the State Archives that are of interest to genealogists four years ago. To date millions of pages have been digitized at no cost to the Pennsylvania...
read more

News and Notes

On the Cover This brown sandstone, Germanic-style date stone is embedded in the east wall of the home of Johannes and Barbara Anna Immel which was recently placed on the National Register of Historic Places. As the stone indicates, the home was constructed in 1759, making it the second-oldest dated house in the area of Myerstown, Lebanon County. Immel, one of the first settlers of the Lebanon...
read more

Local Records Microfilming Project Continued by State Archives

Under a grant of $47,019 from the “records program” of the National Historical Publications and Records Com­mission (NHPRC), the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission’s (PHMC) Division of Archives and Manu­scripts (state archives) initiated a one year local records microfilming project in January 1979. At its fall 1979 meeting the NHPRC approved an additional grant of...
read more

News and Notes

On the Cover The Henry Covered Bridge, with a thirty-six foot span, crosses Mingo Creek in Mingo Creek County Park, Nottingham Township, Washington County. Although the name of the builder and exact date of construction are unknown, records indicate that the bridge was in place by 1881. This white oak structure of Queenpost Truss design with tin covered gable roof. square cut windows and cut...
read more