Fairmount Park’s Memorial Hall

To celebrate its thirtieth birthday this year, the Please Touch Museum is giving young Philadelphia residents and visitors a very special gift: the launching of an intensive rehabilitation of Fairmount Park’s opulent Memorial Hall to serve as its new facility. Built as an architectural showpiece for the 1876 Centennial International Exhibition that celebrated the one hundredth anniversary...
read more

Gettysburg High Street School

A historic school building in Gettysburg, Adams County, is being given a new lease on life through a Keystone Historic Preservation Grant, awarded by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission (PHMC). The High Street School, completed in 1858 as the community’s first consolidated public school building, was based on plans by noted Philadelphia architect, Samuel Sloan (1815-1884)....
read more

Chester Waterside Station, Chester, Delaware County

Standing on the west bank of the Delaware River in the city of Chester is the Delaware County Electrical Company building, a former coal-fired electric generation plant. Channels on either side of this neoclassical style building allowed coal to be delivered by river barges up into the towers. The building was designed in 1916 by architect John T. Windrim and engineered by Philadelphia Electric...
read more

Giving New Life to a Grande Dame

Established in 1796 on two thousand acres in the southern Allegheny Mountains in Bedford County, the Bedford Springs Hotel grew from a backwoods collection of simple bathhouses, which took advantage of seven natural springs, to become one of the country’s premier resort spas by the mid-nineteenth century. Located along route 220, the hotel lies in a picturesque valley between Constitution Hill...
read more

Giving a New Shine to an Old Boot and Shoe Factory

Named for Tahkamochk (or Tam-a-kwah), a Tuscarora Indian chief of the Turkey Clan, Tamaqua, in northeastern Pennsylvania’s Schuylkill County, was known as the “the land where the beaver dwells in the water” and “the valley among four mountains.” It began as an anthracite (hard coal) mining town with related manufacturing interests. Tamaqua’s first settler, Burkhart Moser, is credited with...
read more