Additions to the National Register of Historic Places

Additions lists cultural resources in Pennsylvania - districts, sites, buildings, structures and objects - entered in the National Register of Historic Places.

January 1 to June 15, 1976

 

Allegheny County

Walker-Ewing Log House – Noblestown Road near Baldwin Road, Collier Township. This loghouse exhibits the refinements of nineteenth century architecture on the log building. The Walker-Ewing loghouse is two stories high, built on a hill and has an interior chimney incorporated into the structure.

Pennsylvania Railroad Station (Union Station) – 1101 Liberty Avenue, Pittsburgh. D. H. Burnham and Company designed (1898) this large (228′ x 138′ x 12 stories) railroad station. Done in the popular Beaux-Arts style, the station consists of brick and terra cotta incorporated on a steel frame.

Old Heidelberg Apartments – Braddock Avenue at Waverly Street, Pittsburgh. The Heidelberg Apartments is a three story covered with cement building. Built in 1905 the apartments use various window and door shapes which are in contrast with its irregular roof design.

William Penn Snyder House – 852 Ridge Avenue, Pittsburgh. William Penn Snyder, an iron millionaire, had this large three­-story brownstone mansion built in 1911. This French Renaissance structure exhibits much detail in its attention to exterior appointments.

Armstrong County

Thomas Marshall House – State Street, Dayton. The Marshall House is a two and one-half-story frame structure (c. 1865) which illustrates Victorian refinements as found in rural architecture. Of particular note is a large wooden barrel in the attic, which supplied water to the house.

Berks County

Trinity Lutheran Church – Sixth and Washington Streets, Reading. Trinity Church, built in 1792, is a large church constructed of brick in the Flemish bond style with wood and cut stone trim. The Georgian structure is rich in political and ec­clesiastical history.

Bucks County

David Leedom Farm – Richboro Road, Route 232, Newtown. The Leedom Farm consists of a stone farmhouse with additions and stone and frame outbuildings. Edward Hicks, a preacher and famed artist, lived here.

“Trevose Manor,” Joseph Growden House, Gen. James Wilkinson House – 5408 Old Trevose Road, Cornwells Heights. Trevose Trevose Manor was built about 1681 by Joseph Growden. The manor includes a three-story stucco building with other stone buildings on the property. Two of its owners (Growden and Wilkinson) were Revolutionary War figures.

Carbon County

Central Railroad of New Jersey Station – Susquehanna Street, Jim Thorpe. This station, built of brick in 1888, has a hip roof with several large arched entrances. A small shed for trains is present and the structure is enhanced by a three-story brick tower with a conical roof.

Mauch Chunk and Summit Hill Switchback Railroad – Along L.R. 13033 between Ludlow Street (Summit Hill) and U.S. 209 (Jim Thorpe), Boroughs of Jim Thorpe and Summit Hill. The Switchback Railroad was built in 1827 to transport for the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company. It used gravity to deliver full cars and mules and later steam to return empty cars. Little of the railroad with exception of its site remains.

Chester County

Zook House – Exton Square Mall, East Lincoln Highway off Route 100, Exton. Built in three sections (1734, 1790 and 1820) the Zook house is a gable roof stone structure with porches, pent roofs and three chimneys. The house survived the Exton Mall development and is situated on its original site on the Mall property.

Nathan Michner House – Ridge Road, South Coventry Township. The Nathan Michner House is a typical two and one-half-story gable roof stone house four bays across and two rooms deep. It shows the elegance of woodwork as found in early nine­teenth century in Chester County.

Lukens Main Office Building – 50 South First Avenue, Coates­ville. Although the Lukens Building was constructed in 1902, it adapts the hip roof Georgian style into a commercial setting. The building incorporates fine interior woodwork to balance its authentic exterior.

High Bridge – Over west branch of Brandywine, Coatesville. High Bridge, built in 1903, is a ten arch railroad bridge that carries four tracks. The bridge is constructed of rusticated stone laid in course; its arches are ninety-six feet high.

Fagley House – Art School Road, West Pikeland Township. The Fagley House is a three-story stone house with a gable roof and single story front porch. Heavy brackets adorn the house cornice as well as the porch cornice.

Crawford County

Dr. J. R. Mosier’s Office – South side of PA 198 (L.R. 20054) approximately 900 feet east of intersection of PA 198 and PA 98, Little’s Corners, Hayfield Township. In 1938 when Dr. Mosier died his office was left intact and now serves as a museum. The building is a small frame structure with a false facade fronting the gable roof.

Dauphin County

Harrisburg Historical District – Bounded by the Susquehanna River, Third, Hanna and Forster Streets, Harrisburg. Colonial, Classic Revival and Victorian architectural styles are presented in Harrisburg’s Historic District. Within the district are the fine homes of Front Street, the commercial buildings of Second Street and the Victorian character of South Harrisburg.

Archibald McAllister House – 5300 North Front Street, Harrisburg. The McAllister House (1814) illustrates the Georgian stone manor house. The gable roof main section is replete with hood dormers, a Palladian window and one-story porch.

Delaware County

The Grange (Maen-Coch, Clifton Hall) – Grove Place, north of West City Line (U.S. 1) and west of Haverford Road, Haverford. Although the Grange exhibits a seventeenth century structure, it is ostensibly later in appearance. Its gingerbread bargeboard and decorated chimneys give the Grange an air of Victorianism.

Franklin County

Montery Historic District – Along Charmian Road, Charmian Lane, Cleremont Avenue, Montery Lane, Montery Circle and Lower Montery Circle, Blue Ridge Summit. The Montery Historic District exemplifies the nineteenth century summer resort concept. Various styles of frame and stone structures of large and decorative detail are included in the district.

Lackawanna County

Finch Building – 424 Wyoming Avenue, Scranton. Varying roof styles, conical turrets and decorative window treatment indicates the Chateauesque style of this four-story stone building. This structure was built as the headquarters for the International Correspondence School.

McKean County

Crook Farm – Seward Avenue Extension, Foster Township. Crook Farm has a two-story frame building with an addition on the rear. The farm’s significance is that it was the site of the Olmstead Well of the Bradford Oil Field.

Bradford Oil City Hall – Kennedy and Boylston Streets, Bradford. The Old City Hall is a multi-story brick building (1897) that illustrates Victorian eclecticism. The building has a large tower with bells and a clock.

Mifflin County

Mifflin County Courthouse – 1 West Market Street, Lewistown. Build in 1842 the present Courthouse is the third constructed in the county. Greek Revival in style, the courthouse was enlarged in 1878.

Monroe County

Fenner-Snyder Mill – Route 209 and Neola Road, Sciota. Fenner-Snyder Mill is a large two and one-half-story uncoursed fieldstone structure built in 1800. It features some mill machinery as well as architectural detail typical of mill construction.

Swiftwater Inn – Swiftwater. The Swiftwater Inn is a complex of connecting white frame buildings with black two-tiered verandas and black shuttered windows. The Inn was originally built as a stockaded fort.

Montgomery County

General Wayne Inn – 625 Montgomery Avenue, Merion. The General Wayne Inn was a two and one-half-story stucco-covered stone tavern. It was here that General Wayne was honored after his victory at Fallen Timbers.

Springfield Mill – Northwestern Avenue between Germantown Avenue and Bethlehem Pike, Erdenheim. Springfield Mill is one of the last of fifty-two mills built on Wissahickon Creek. It was built in 1854 of limestone and is three and one-half-stories high by three bays across by three bays deep.

Northumberland County

Beck House (Old Scott House) – 62 North Front Street, Sun­bury. Geometrically cut stone are part of the Beck House, a structure of the later eighteenth century. This house features fine interior and exterior woodwork.

Philadelphia County

Commandant’s Quarters – U.S. Naval Base, Philadelphia. This military building is done in the Italianate style and constructed (1874) of brick. It presently houses a Naval Museum.

Old Saint Augustine’s Catholic Church – Fourth Street below Vine at the corner of New Street, Philadelphia. St. Augustine’s Church was built in 1847; it was designed by Napolean Le Burn. The large brick and stone church resembles Georgian architecture and contains interesting interior detail.

Union County

Buffalo Presbyterian Church – R.D.#2, Buffalo Township, Lewisburg. The Buffalo Church was built in 1846 and resembles the Greek Temple style. It is constructed in brick, one-story high and is adjoined by a cemetery.

York County

Samuel Stoner Homestead – 1200′ N.N.E. of intersection of Township Road 500 and L.R. 66210, West Manchester Township. The Samuel Stoner is a one and one-half-story stone house built about 1800. A two-story stone section was added in the 1850’s.

Guinston United Presbyterian Church – Near Laurel (Muddy Creek Forks). Chanceford Township. In 1773 the congregation of Guinston Church replaced their log church with a stone structure. The stone church is rectangular in shape and features fine interior woodwork including galleries.