Additions to the National Register of Historic Places

Additions lists cultural resources in Pennsylvania - districts, sites, buildings, structures and objects - entered in the National Register of Historic Places.

March to June, 1975

 

Allegheny County

Shadyside Presbyterian Church – Amberson Avenue, West Min­ister Place, Pittsburgh. The Shadyside Presbyterian Church was erected in 1889-90 on the site of the earlier church which had been built in 1874-75.

The Mexican War Streets – North Side, Pittsburgh. The Mexican War Streets District is a twenty-seven-acre tract of land on Pittsburgh’s North Side. The row houses of this area were built dur­ing 1846-60; thus, there is a variety of building styles. The Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation painted the exteriors and remodeled the interiors for low-income tenant houses.

Beaver County

Site of Fort McIntosh – River Road, Beaver. Fort Mcintosh, headquarters of General Lachlan McIntosh in 1778 was the first military post established upon the “Indian Side” of the Ohio River. The fort was trapezoid in shape and was surrounded by ditches. Part of the original area is covered by parks, streets, and private residences.

Legionville – Duss Avenue and Route 65, Harmony Township, Beaver. At this Legionville Camp from November 1792 to 1793, General Wayne instructed his troops in the lesson of military dis­cipline and techniques of warfare.

Berks County

White Horse Tavern – 509 Philadelphia Pike, Douglassville. The White Horse Tavern in the village of Morlatten is a two and one­-half story red sandstone structure in the Georgian style, originally constructed in 1765. Restoration efforts have been undertaken by the Historic Preservation Trust of Berks County.

Blair County

Baker Mansion – 3500 Baker Boulevard, Altoona. The three­-story Greek Revival Baker Mansion was constructed between 1844-1848. One of the interesting construction techniques of the mansion is the use of cast iron for door and window frames and sections of the columns.

Bucks County

Twin Trees – 905 Second Street Pike, Richboro. This structure was built in two sections during the eighteenth century and was the home of Richard Leedom. The original structure was one and one half stories with later addition being two and one half stories. The house has structures in Georgian and Victorian styles.

Centre County

John Gray House – Port Matilda. This house is a fine example of a two and one half story late eighteenth-century rural Pennsyl­vania architecture. The structure is remarkably well preserved.

Chester County

Primitive Hall – Route 841 in West Marleborough Township. Primitive Hall is a early eighteenth century brick county home which demonstrates the transitional Georgian style of the western Delaware Valley. Stewart Huston, owner, deeded the house and fifty acres to the Primitive Hall Foundation in 1960.

Clearfield County

DuBois Mansion – College Place, DuBois. The DuBois Mansion was originally constructed in 1880 with major alterations on it in 1902. It is a fine example of Tudor architecture with the in­teriors displaying features such as hand-carved woodwork and and stairway, Italian marble fireplace and imported Belgian tapes­tries.

Crawford County

Titusville City Hall – 107 North Franklin Street, Titusville. The Titusville City Hall was originally constructed as a private resi­dence in 1865, later became the Bush Hotel, and then City Hall, which it has been for the last 100 years. The Greek Revival Temple form house is unusual for its area.

Dauphin County

Salem United Church of Christ – 231 Chestnut Street, Harrisburg. Originally erected in 1821-22, the Salem Church derives its origins from the 1787 Old Salem Reformed Church built in the lot adjacent to the present church. The structure has gone through many alterations since 1821, but it is still a good ex­ample of the Classic-style and it is still used as a church.

Lebanon County

Heinrich Zeller House – Route 419, Newmanstown. Particularly interesting about this house is the arch under the basement window through which a spring flows and the five and one half foot high doorway. Built in 1743, the Zeller house represents a transference of European architecture to America.

Tulpehocken Manor Plantation – Route 422, Myerstown. Including 150 of the original 240-acre tracts, the plantation en­compasses a number of significant eighteenth and nineteenth century buildings. Perhaps most outstanding are the two identical Lay and Lower houses. There are also Swiss/German bank houses. a Victorian manor house, and several unusual outbuildings.

Luzerne County

Central Railroad of New Jersey Station – Baltimore Street, Wilkes-Barre. One of the best examples of Victorian architecture, the Central Railroad still maintains some of the ornate ginger­bread which adorned the public building. Completed in May 1868, it was one of the most ornate and luxurious stations on the line.

Montgomery County

Henry Antes House – Colonial Road, Upper Frederick Township. This house is an example of Pennsylvania German architec­ture and was constructed in 1720 as a two and one-half story stucco-over-stone house. It was later used as a boys’ school with some additions being built onto the structure.

Warren County

Struthers-Wetmore-Shimmlefeng House – 210 Third Avenue, Warren. The Wetmore House was constructed during 1870-73 of red brick. The mansion is two stories high with a mansard roof, constructed in the Italian Renaissance style. The architectural significance and its relationship to Thomas Struthers, a prominent citizen of early Warren, make it an important structure. It now houses the Warren County Historical Society.

Washington County

Roberts House – 225 North Central Avenue, Cannonsburg. The Roberts House is a five bay, two-story stone house and is essentially in the Georgian style.

“S” Bridge – six miles west of Washington. The “S” Bridge was built in 1818 to carry the National Road over a branch of Buffalo Creek and it represents the oldest engineered structure in the county. The west end of the bridge was demolished by U.S. Route 40 but the extant part of the bridge is in good condition.

York County

York Meeting House – 134 North Philadelphia Street, York. The York Meetinghouse was originally constructed in 1776 with additions being completed in 1783, making it the oldest extant meetinghouse in the county. The pre-Revolutionary building is a one and one half story brick building with a gable roof and side chimney.

 

Significance of the National Register

The National Register, established by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, is “the official list of the Nation’s cultural resources worthy of preservation.”

Besides the distinction and prestige of being included in the National Register, a property receives a measure of pro­tection from federally funded, approved or licensed under­takings. This protection, through comment by the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation, takes into consideration such things as destruction or alteration of the property, iso­lation or alteration of its environment, and the introduction of visual, audible or atmospheric elements out of character with the property or its settings.

Properties listed on the Register are also eligible to be considered for Federal grants-in-aid for historic preservation.

Criteria for nomination to the National Register have been established by the National Park Service. These criteria include properties of local and state as well as national sig­nificance. For information on these criteria and actual nomination procedures please contact: Office of Historic Preservation, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Box 1026, Harrisburg 17120.