Additions to the National Register of Historic Places

Additions lists cultural resources in Pennsylvania - districts, sites, buildings, structures and objects - entered in the National Register of Historic Places.

August 15, 1976 Thru December 15, 1976

 

Adams County

  • Sheads House – 331 Buford Avenue, Gettysburg. Built In 1862, this two and one-half story brick house has distinct Gothic features. A girl’s school also operated there for a short period of time.

Allegheny County

  • Rachel Carson House – 613 Marion Avenue, Springdale. Small frame house which was Rachel Carson’s home for 22 years. Miss Carson was a noted environmentalist and her book Silent Spring had a profound effect on the ecology movement.
  • South Side Market Building – Twelfth and Bingham Streets, Pittsburgh. Built in 1893 and rebuilt in 1915, this large two­-story brick building is one of the few surviving market buildings in Pittsburgh.
  • Phipps Conservatory – Schenley Park, Pittsburgh. This large glass and steel conservatory was designed by Lord and Burnham in 1893.
  • Highland Towers Apartments – 340 South Highland Avenue, Pittsburgh. Built in 1913 by Frederick Scheibler, this four-­story brick and glass building is done in the Art Deco style.

Berks County

  • Sally Ann Furnace Complex – R. D. #1, Mertztown. This 18th and 19th century iron furnace complex was established by Valentine Eckert. The two and one-half story stone iron master’s house has beautiful architectural details.

Bucks County

  • Durham Mill & Furnace – Durham Road, Durham. This large stone and brick building was built in 1820 over the foundations of the 1727 Durham Furnace.

Butler County

  • John Roebling House & Shop – Rebecca and Main Streets, Saxonburg. This small two-story frame house was built by John Roebling in 1835. Roebling, noted bridge designer, developed the twisted wire cable, in the nearby shop.

Centre County

  • Centre County Courthouse – High Street, Bellefonte. The Courthouse ls a two-story, Greek Revival building. The imposing classical porch was built in 1835.
  • Miles-Humes House – 203 North Allegheny Street, Bellefonte. This two and one-half story stone house with later additions was built by Joseph Miles in 1815. The property now houses the Centre County Library.
  • William Thomas House – North Thomas Street, Bellefonte. This large two and one-half story stone house was built in two sec­tions c. 1785 and 1834. William Thomas, ironmaster, built the large 1834 Georgian section.
  • Bellefonte Academy – 225 East Bishop Street, Bellefonte. Founded in 1805, the Bellefonte Academy building is a large three-story brick building done in a Classical style.

Chester County

  • Warwick Furnace and Farm – Warwick Furnace Road, Warwick Township. An 18th century iron and farm complex with a beautiful manor house.

Cumberland County

  • John Wormley House – 126 North Front Street, Wormleysburg. This two and one-half story, three-bay, stone house was built in 1815 by John Wormley, founder of Wormleysburg.

Dauphin County

  • Swatara Ferry House – 400 Swatara Street, Middletown. This early 19th century log house is one and one-half stories and was built in two sections.
  • William R. Griffith House (Cathedral House) – 216 North Front Street, Harrisburg. This brick Greek Revival House has been little altered. It has particularly imposing interior appointments.
  • Simon Cameron House and Bank – 28-30 East Main Street, Middletown. Simon Cameron Republican party political boss and U.S. Senator founded a bank in the two and one-half story stone building. The adjacent brick building was his residence from 1832-1850.

Delaware County

  • Pusey-Crozer Mill District – Race Street, Upland. This mill district contains the 1683 Caleb Pusey house as well as the 19th century Crozer milling complex.

Franklin County

  • Royer-Nicodemus Farm – 1010 East Main Street, Waynesboro. Farm originally settled in 1750 but the present complex is 19th century. The large two and one-halt story stone house was built by Daniel Royer in 1812.

Fulton County

  • McConnell House – 114 Lincoln Highway West, McConnells­burg. This c. 1760 two and one-half story log house was ori­ginally built as a tavern residence by William McConnell, the town’s founder.

Lancaster County

  • General Edward Hand House (Rockford) – 881 Rock Ford Road, Lancaster. Built In 1793-94 “Rock Ford” is a five bay, two-story brick house. Gen. Edward Hand served in a wide variety of campaigns during the Revolution.

Luzerne County

  • Keller House – 217 West Broad Street, Hazelton. This large Victorian mansion was built in 1854 and redesigned in 1896. It is an excellent example of the late 19th century mansion.

Lycoming County

  • Williamsport City Hall – Pine Street, Williamsport. Built in 1894 this brick and stone building is done in a Romanesque style. The large central tower is particularly imposing.

Montgomery County

  • Quaker Manor House – 1165 Pinetown Road, Fort Washington. This five-bay, two and one-half story stone house was built c. 1730 by John Petty. It is an excellent example of a Quaker farmhouse.
  • Knapp Farm – DeKalb Pike and Knapp Road, North Wales. This 18th century farmstead has a four-bay fieldstone house that is largely unaltered.
  • Pennypacker Mansion – 5 Haldeman Road, Schwenksville. This large 18th century house with later additions was one of Washington’s headquarters as well as the home of Gov. Samuel Pennypacker (1903-1907).

Northampton County

  • Jacob Nicholas House – 458 Ferry Street, Easton. This small two and one-half story stone bank house was built by Jacob Nicholas, a Durham boat captain, c. 1750.

Philadelphia County

  • Bergdoll Mansion – 2201-2205 Green Street, Philadelphia. This three-story cut stone mansion is done in the Italianate style and has excellent interior woodwork and plasterwork.
  • St. James Hotel – 1226-1232 Walnut Street, Philadelphia. This brick and stone hotel built in 1904 was designed by Horace Trumbauer.
  • Ryerss Mansion – Central and Cottman Avenues, Philadelphia. This mid-19th century estate of the Ryerss family includes a large Italianate mansion, carriage house and stable.
  • Roberts-Quay House – 1035 Spruce Street, Philadelphia. This large four-story brick building was built as a residence by Edward Roberts c. 1858. Matthew Quay, Republican party “boss” lived here for a short period of time.

Potter County

  • Coudersport and Port Allegheny Railroad Station – 201 South West Street, Coudersport. Built in 1899, this two and one-half story brick station is being converted for use as borough offices.

Warren County

  • Irvine United Presbyterian Church – Route 6, Irvine. This small stone church, built in 1837 in the Greek Revival style, is well preserved.
  • A. J. Hazeltine House – 710 Pennsylvania Avenue West, Warren. Now operated as a county museum, the Hazeltine House is a large 1907 mansion done in the Jacobean style.

Washington County

  • Samuel Brownlee House – Route 519, Eighty-Four. This two and one-half story brick house was built in 1846. The large Greek Revival verandah is particularly impressive.
  • Sackville House – 309 East Wheeling Street, Washington. This three-story frame house was built in 1809 and embodies a variety of Victorian styles including Queen Anne, Shingle and Romanesque.
  • Trinity Hall – Park Avenue, Washington. This large brick Italianate building was originally built in 1857 as a residence. It was operated as Trinity Military Academy from 1879-1907. At present it is part of the public school system.