Additions to the National Register of Historic Places

Additions lists cultural resources in Pennsylvania - districts, sites, buildings, structures and objects - entered in the National Register of Historic Places.

June 15, 1976 to August 15, 1976

 

Allegheny County

Dollar Savings Bank – Fourth Avenue at Smithfield Street, Pitts­burgh. Constructed 1868. This is a one-story brown stone, bank building, designed by Isaac H. Hobbs & Sons of Philadelphia. The structure is one of the county’s finest examples of the Beaux-Arts tradition.

Blair County

Blair County Courthouse – 423 Allegheny Street, Hollidaysburg. Constructed 1875. A two-story, T-shaped structure, constructed of stone with cut stone facings. The most notable aspect of the building features a five-story, four-faced clock tower, which rises above the intersection of the T-plan. Designed by David S. Gendell of Philadelphia.

Franklin County

Masonic Temple – 74 South Second Street, Chambersburg. Con­structed 1823-24. A two-story brick structure with a stucco veneer. The oldest Masonic building west of the Susquehanna River is a fine example of Classical architecture.

Lackawanna County

St. Peter’s Cathedral Complex – 315 Wyoming Avenue, Scranton. Constructed 1867. The Complex is comprised of three buildings; St. Peter’s Cathedral, Cathedral Rectory, and the Cathedral Convent. Designed in the Romanesque Revival style by Joel Amsden. Scranton’s leading architect for the period. Once a place for higher education, St. Peter’s Cathedral Complex is now the mother church for 237 churches throughout North­eastern Pennsylvania.

Philadelphia County

Marine Barracks – Building 100, Naval Base, Broad Street, Phila­delphia. Constructed 1901. The Barracks is a four-story building of red brick and Gypsum Block construction. Served as an im­portant supply depot and training school for most of this cen­tury.

 

The Royer-Nicodemus House and Farm, 1010 East Main Street, Waynesboro, a property of approximately 100 acres, documenting the growth and development of a Cumberland Valley streamside farm, has been entered on the National Register of Historic Places.

The National Register is the nation’s catalog of histori­cally and architecturally significant sites and structures. Maintained by the National Park Service under the U.S. Department of the Interior, the Register identifies those properties worthy of preservation as national historic resources.

The farmstead, tilled for more than 200 years, has as its principal remaining building an 1812, two-story house reflecting Federal period and Germanic influences. Other buildings on the property are a small butcher-smoke house and a log and stone spring house of the same period as the farmhouse and a large frame barn, built in 1896.

The property along the Antietam Creek was settled about 1750 by a family named Bourns, who were Scottish Covenanters. Daniel Royer (1762-1838), a wealthy farmer, miller, ironmaster, and Pennsylvania legislator acquired the property at the end of the eighteenth century. Royer built the farmhouse. In the early twentieth century, the farm was acquired by Edgar A. Nicodemus (1882-1965). heir to a family with heavy investment in and important in the development of the commercial apple industry in the Cumberland/Shenandoah Valleys.

The property, in excellent condition, was bequeathed to the Borough of Waynesboro in 1973 by Mr. and Mrs. Edgar A. Nicodemus. The borough restored the main buildings. Today, the Renfrew Museum and its Nicodemus antique collections occupy the farmhouse. A portion of the land serves as a park, and some of the farm land is still tilled.

The museum and park were formally dedicated by the borough in ceremonies October 3.