Additions to the National Register of Historic Places and Pennsylvania Inventory (Since July 1, 1974)

Additions lists cultural resources in Pennsylvania - districts, sites, buildings, structures and objects - entered in the National Register of Historic Places.

Allegheny County

Butler Street Gatehouse (Allegheny Cemetery). 4734 Butler Street, Pittsburgh. (1848, 1868-70). Stone gatehouse with mansard roof. Gateway is crenellated and flanked by towers. Later additions Include a chapel and a large tower, all done in a Romantic Gothic style, Public.

Chester County

Old Kennett Meetinghouse. Route 1 west of Parkersville Road, Kennett Township. (1710). One and one half story stuccoed stone building. Much of original interior preserved. Private.

Fayette County

Falllngwater. Route 381, Mill Run, Stewart Township. (1939), Multi-level sandstone and concrete house, one of Frank Lloyd Wright’s most widely acclaimed works. Set over waterfall of Bear Run, the house and its surroundings form an integral component. Private.

Washington County

Washington County Courthouse. Main and Bean Streets, Washington. (1900). Two and three story stone building, in Italian Renaissance style. Semi-circular entrance portico, huge central dome, exceptionally ornate interiors. Public.

Washington County Jail. (1899). Large, three story stone building with huge arcaded dome.

 

Pennsylvania Inventory

Berks

Lock-Keeper’s House. 241 Jefferson Street, Reading. Two story, stucco over fieldstone farmhouse. Located near the Schuylkill canal, it was the home of the lock keeper.

Bucks

Dolington Manor. R.D. 1, Newtown. (1738-1820). Large (seven bays) rose stone structure, with two arcades in central part of building. Remained in one family for a century.

Fieldstone Farm. Mt. Eyre Road T363, Upper Makefield Township. Two story, four bay random fieldstone house with shed roof addition. A barn, springhouse, and smoke house of fieldstone are also included on the property.

Herzog’s Corner. 569 Bustleton Pike, Richboro. (1847). Grist mill complex consisting of grist mill and mill house. House ls three bays wide, front facade of semi-ashlar and remainder of rough stone. Keystone arrangement above windows ls notable.

Smith, William House. Corner of Mud Road and Penns Park Road, Wrightstown. (1686, 1690, 1925, 1965, 1968). Early portion of house is log, later covered with irregular clapboard. 1690 section is rough fieldstone. House is one and one half stories, with very steeply pitched gable roof. Entire house in excellent state of preservation. Several recent clapboard additions.

Twin Trees. 905 Second Street Pike, Richboro. (1740-79). Early section of this farmhouse is two bays, one and one half stories, rough brown fieldstone. Later section is built with dressed stone on front facade and rough fieldstone on other facades and has five bays, two stories. Site of Committee Of Correspondence meetings.

Centre

Gray, John House. State Route 550, 3/4 miles south of U.S. 220. (1793). Two story, five bay farmhouse of random fieldstone. Has a stone chimney at either end. This farmhouse, which almost completely retains its original features, is a vernacular expression of Georgian style.

Chester

Zook House (Exton Square Mall). East Lincoln Highway off Pa. Route 100, Exton. (1734, 1750, 1790, 1820). Two and one half story, brown fieldstone farm. A typical early American farm reflecting growing prosperity in its expansion. Inhabited by many generations of one family.

Dauphin

Cameron, Simon House. 30 East Main Street, Middletown. (1833). Brick, two and one-half story, hip roof house. Home of Simon Cameron, Secretary of War under Lincoln from 1833 to 1855. Interior mostly original. House adjoins bank which Cameron ran.

Franklin

Small House. Richmond Furnace, Ft. Loudon. (early 19th century). Two stories, nine bay dwelling with white trim. Original section is five bays. The walls are of coursed fieldstone at facade and rough stone on the side elevations. Windows have six-over-nine lights. Part of a major architectural group of the Cumberland Valley.

Lebanon

Hellman, Henry Homestead. 1436 Russell Road, Lebanon. Log two story, early 19th century dwelling. Now clapboard siding; little remains of original interior.

Lehigh

Dillingersville Union School. Zionsville Road, Zionsville, Lower Milford Township. (c. 1800). Rectangular, five bay, one story fieldstone meetinghouse-school. Central stone masonry structure interrupts main line, supports bell cupola. Typically Pennsylvania German site. Used continuously for educational purposes since 1735.

Warren

Railroad Station (Pennsylvania-Erie Depot). 316 Chestnut Street, Warren. (1868). Two stories, painted brick, with wide overhanging roofs upheld by posts and wooden brackets. One of few typical brick railroad stations remaining.

Struthers Library Building. Third Avenue and Liberty Street, Warren. (1883). Red brick civic building, has three major divisions. Formerly used for cultural activities – contained stage, meeting hall, public library. Exterior detail in Renaissance style.

Struthers-Wetmore-Schimmelfeng House. 210 Fourth Avenue, Warren. (1873). Red brick, mansard roof house, in Renaissance style, with Italianate windows with dripstone. Trimmed lavishly with white Baroque detail.

Wayne

Hill’s Sawmill. Routes T676 and T662, Equinunk. Two story, frame, gable roof mill. Machinery in working condition; operated continuously for nearly 100 years. A reminder of Wayne County’s early lumbering economy.

York

Hammersly-Stominger-Schreffer House. Route 177 and Old Quaker Road, Newberry Township. (1790, 1835). Early portion of house is log, five bays, later portion is stone, two bays. Typical English-built, Georgian style log house of 18th century.