Shorts presents news briefs about current and forthcoming programs, events, exhibits and activities of historical and cultural institutions in Pennsylvania.

The City of Bethlehem’s nine day “Musikfest” will be held from Saturday, August 16 [1986], through Sunday, August 24 [1986], with a number of museums and historic sites participating in the famous event. Requests for information may be sent to one of the participating institu­tions: Annie S. Kemerer Mu­seum, 427 North New St., Bethlehem, PA 18018; tele­phone (215) 868-6868.


A workshop devoted to the cultivation, processing and use of herbs – from cooking to cosmetics-will be conducted at the Somerset Historical Center on Sunday, August 3 [1986], from 1:30 to 5 P.M. The work­shop is co-sponsored by the Historical and Genealogical Society of Somerset County and the local Herb Club. For more information on the pro­gram, write: Somerset Histori­cal Center, Box 238, R.D. 2, Somerset, PA 15501; or tele­phone (814) 445-6077.


“We Love Erie Days,” fea­turing walking tours and re­lated activities, will be held during the weekend of August 16-17 [1986]. For more information, write: Erie County Historical Society, 417 State St., Erie, PA 16501; or telephone (814) 454-1813.


The Pennsylvania Invita­tional Outdoor Sculpture Exhibition, hosted by the Southern Alleghenies Mu­seum of Art, will open at Loretto on Saturday, July 19 [1986]. The exhibit will continue through September 14 [1986]. To obtain additional information, write: Southern Alleghenies Museum of Art, P.O. Box 8, Saint Francis College Mall, Loretto, PA 15940; or tele­phone (814) 472-6400.


During the weekends of August 2-3 [1986] and 9-10 [1986], the An­thracite Museum at Scranton will present a live interpreta­tion by a professional acting company of its recently in­stalled major exhibit, “Gears and Wheels.” Additional infor­mation is available by writing: Anthracite Museum at Scran­ton, Bald Mountain Rd., R.D. 1, Scranton, PA 18504; or by telephoning (717) 963-4804.


More than one hundred “soldiers” will participate in a Civil War reenactment on Saturday and Sunday, August 16-17 [1986], at the Colonial Pennsyl­vania Plantation of Ridley Creek State Park. The reenact­ment begin’s promptly at 2 P.M. each day. For additional information, write: Colonial Pennsylvania Plantation, Rid­ley Creek State Park, Media, PA 19063; or telephone (215) 566-1725. Admission is charged.


More than twenty-five demonstrations of colonial period and rural crafts will highlight Heritage Day, Satur­day, August 9 [1986], at the 1719 Hans Herr House in Willow Street, Lancaster County. In addition to the demonstra­tions, several workshops and seminars will be offered in the large tobacco barn adjacent to the historic structure. For additional information, write: Hans Herr House, 1849 Hans Herr Dr., Willow Street, PA 17584; or telephone (717) 464-4438. The village of Willow Street is located five miles south of the City of Lancaster.


The finest period of poster art is showcased in an exhibi­tion, “The Golden Age of the American Poster,” on view at the Brandywine River Mu­seum in Chadds Ford through September 1 [1986]. The exhibition is on loan from the Currier Gal­lery of Art, Manchester, New Hampshire. For additional information, write: Brandy­wine River Museum, Route 1, Chadds Ford, PA 19317; or telephone (215) 388-7601.


Opening Friday, August 1 [1986], at the Lackawanna Historical Society, Scranton, is an exhibit entitled “The Photographic Art of Harry Baroff.” The exhibit, which continues through December 1 [1986], features images originally produced by Baroff about 1915. Visiting hours are Tuesday through Friday, 10 A.M. to 5 P.M. Additional information is available by writing: Lackawanna Histori­cal Society, 232 Monroe Ave., Scranton, PA 18510; or by telephoning (717) 344-3841.


Easton’s ninth annual Heri­tage Day Festival will be con­ducted in the city’s Centre Square on Sunday, July 6 [1986], from 1 to 6:30 P.M. A reading of the Declaration of Indepen­dence will be given by a direct descendant of Robert Levers, who read the historic docu­ment in the city in 1776. The event is sponsored by Easton Heritage Day, Inc. For more details, write: Two Rivers Area Commerce Council, 157 South Fourth St., Easton, PA 18042; or telephone (215) 258-2881.


Candlelight tours of Rock­ford Plantation, Lancaster, the eighteenth century home of Gen. Edward Hand, a Revolu­tionary War officer and one of George Washington’s closest friends, will be conducted on Wednesday evenings, July 30 [1986] and August 27 [1986]. For additional details and visiting hours, write: Rockford Plantation, 881 Rockford Rd., Box 264, Lancas­ter, PA 17603; or telephone (717) 392-7223.


A nine day observance commemorating Monroe County’s sesquicentennial will be held July 12-20 [1986]. Additional information regarding events and activities is available by writing: Monroe County Ses­quicentennial, Room 150, Monroe County Courthouse, Stroudsburg, PA 18360; or by telephoning (717) 421-5791.


Continuing Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays through August 30 [1986] is Long­wood Gardens’ “Festival of Fountains.” The illuminated fountain displays begin promptly at 9:15 P.M. Long­wood Gardens, formerly the Pierre S. du Pont estate in Chester County, is America’s foremost horticultural display, with more than three hundred and fifty acres of outdoor gardens and woodlands and conservatories housing twenty indoor gardens. For more information, write: Longwood Gardens, Route 1, Kennett Square, PA 19348; or telephone (215)388-6741. Admission is charged.


Tours, entertainment, crafts demonstrations and old fash­ioned refreshments are part of “Echoes of the Past,” a one day event which will be held Sun­day, July 13 [1986], at Lock Ridge
Park in Alburtis, Lehigh County. Alburtis is located between Macungie and Trex­lertown, west of route 100. For traveling directions and more information, write: Lehigh County Historical Society, Old Court House, Fifth and Hamilton Sts., Allentown, PA 18101; or telephone (215) 435-1072.


A lecture entitled “Architec­ture in the Keystone State” will be presented by Steven Abrams of the University Mu­seum of Archaeology/Anthropology of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, at the Cornwall Iron Furnace on Tuesday, August 12 [1986], at 7:30 P.M. There is no admission charge. For additional information, write: Cornwall Iron Furnace Associ­ates, P.O. Box 251, Cornwall, PA 17016; or telephone (717) 272-9711.


An exhibition of works by American artist J. Howard Iams (1897-1964) which illus­trate the Whiskey Rebellion in western Pennsylvania, from 1791 through 1794, will con­tinue at the Westmoreland Museum of Art, Greensburg, until August 31 [1986]. Museum visiting hours are: Tuesday through Saturday, 10 A.M. to 5 P.M.; Sunday, 1 to 5 P.M. Additional information may be obtained by writing: West­moreland Museum of Art, 221 North Main St., Greensburg, PA 15601; or by telephoning (412) 837-1500.


“The Personal Touch: Cloth­ing Accessories from German­town Past” is a new exhibit featuring antique hats, shoes, parasols, fans, handbags and purses, shawls and similar vintage accessories at the Ger­mantown Historical Society, Philadelphia. The exhibit con­tinues through October 30 [1986]. For more information, including visiting hours and traveling directions, write: Germantown Historical Society, Clarkson­-Watson House, 5275 German­town Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19144; or telephone (215) 844-0514.


An exhibit depicting the lifestyle and culture of Menno­nites as they migrated to west­ern Pennsylvania, Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska and Ontario since the eighteenth century may be visited at the Menno­nite Heritage Center in Souderton through October 24 [1986]. “Mennonite Migration from Southeastern Pennsylva­nia” reflects the dynamic fac­tors which prompted the migration of the Mennonites who desired the simple life­style of their Anabaptist faith. For more information, write: Mennonite Heritage Center, 24 Main St., Souderton, PA 18964; or telephone (215) 723-1700. There is no admission charge, but donations are welcomed.


A premiere concert, “Music of the Wissahickon Glen, 1694-1740,” will be presented on Sunday, July 27 [1986], at 2 P.M. in Memorial Hall, Fairmount Park, Philadelphia. The con­cert will feature the hymns of the Wissahickon Hermits, a creative, scientific, fraternal and artistic group lead by Johannes Kelpius (see “The Wissahickon Valley: To a Wil­derness Returned” by Joseph D. Conwill in this issue). For reservation information, write: The Kelpius Society, P.O. Box 9903, Philadelphia, PA 19118; or telephone (215) 328-0255.


The Quakertown Historical Society will hold its annual Market Day Arts and Crafts Festival during the weekend of August 8-10 [1986] at its Main Street complex in the Bucks County community. More information is available by writing: Quakertown Historical Society, 26 North Main St., Quaker­town, PA 18951; or by tele­phoning (215) 536-3499. Admission is free.


On Saturday, July 12 [1986], the Dauphin County Historical Society will host an open house at the stately John Harris Mansion in downtown Harrisburg in conjunction with the annual Pennsylvania Pump Primers Muster on the banks of the Susquehanna River. A special exhibit will depict the auxiliary organiza­tions of fire departments through photographs, objects and first-person accounts. The exhibit will run through Sep­tember 30 [1986]. For additional infor­mation, write: Dauphin County Historical Society, 219 South Front St., Harrisburg, PA 17104; or telephone (717) 233-3462. Admission is charged.


Erie Art Museum’s exhibit of the work of Frederick Hurten Rhead (1880-1942), contin­uing through September 28 [1986], explores the life’s work of the influential and innovative artist in American ceramic art during the first half of this century. More information may be obtained by writing: Erie Art Museum, 411 State St., Erie, PA 16501; or by tele­phoning (814) 459-5477.


The Library Company of Philadelphia has mounted on exhibit, “Benjamin Henry Latrobe’s Views of Jeffersonian America, 1795-1820,” which documents the artistic accom­plishments of America’s first professional architect and engineer (see “The Artist as Commentator” by John C. Van Horne in the spring edition). The exhibit showcases more than seventy of Latrobe’s origi­nal watercolors which are complemented by books, drawings, prints and photo­graphs. One half of the exhib­ited materials serve as a pictorial record of life and culture in the mid-Atlantic states during the late eight­eenth and early nineteenth centuries. For more informa­tion, write: The Library Com­pany of Philadelphia, 1314 Locust St., Philadelphia, PA 19107; or telephone (215) 546-3181. There is no admission charge.


An exhibit entitled “The Cast Iron Industry in Cum­berland County, Pennsylvania, 1760-1890,” is on view through September 30 [1986] at the Cum­berland County Historical Society and Hamilton Library Association in Carlisle. The exhibit examines the county’s role in establishing Pennsylva­nia as the most important iron manufacturing center in the colonies. Displayed are historic documents and letters, draw­ings, vintage photographs and artifacts. For additional infor­mation, write: Cumberland County Historical Society and Hamilton Library Association, 21 North Pitt St., Carlisle, PA 17013; or telephone (717) 249-7610. Admission is free.


“Artists and Models: Por­traits from the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Gar­den,” an exhibit of thirty-four selections from one of Ameri­ca’s premier collections of modern art, is on view at the Pennsylvania State University’s Museum of Art in State College until August 17 [1986]. In­cluded in the showing are watercolors by John Singer Sargent, Thomas Hart Benton and Milton Avery; drawings by Philip Evergood and David Hockney; and photographs by Thomas Eakins and Alfred Steiglitz. “Artists and Models” showcases the outstanding talents of twenty-eight modern masters whose pieces repre­sented are concerned with the human form. Admission is free. More information may be obtained by writing: Museum of Art, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16801; or by telephoning (814) 865-7672.


A Harvest Home Jubilee will be held by the Pennsylva­nia Dutch Folk Culture Center in Lenhartsville beginning Saturday, August 30 [1986], and concluding Labor Day, Mon­day, September 1 [1986]. For traveling directions and visiting hours, write: Pennsylvania Dutch Folk Culture Center, Lenharts­ville, PA 19534; or telephone (215) 562-4803 or 682-7432.


“Best Foot Forward” is a selection of antique footwear from the collection of more than nine hundred pairs as­sembled by Alice Stright ex­hibited by the Crawford County Historical Society at the Baldwin-Reynolds House­-Museum in Meadville. The exhibit, which continues through Labor Day [1986], features circa 1880 stiletto-toed wed­ding shoes, a pair of century­-old men’s black oxfords with red laces and an early nine­teenth century pair of chil­dren’s copper-toed and high-heeled shoes. The Baldwin-Reynolds House­Museum is located at 639 Ter­race Street. For more information, write: Crawford County Historical Society, 848 North Main St., Meadville, PA 16335; or telephone (814) 724- 6080.