Shorts presents news briefs about current and forthcoming programs, events, exhibits and activities of historical and cultural institutions in Pennsylvania.

An architectural discussion and special tour of Friendship Hill, the country estate of statesman Albert Gallatin (1761-1849) in southwestern Pennsylvania, will be given on Sunday, July 7 [1985], at 2 P.M. For additional information, write: Friendship Hill National His­toric Site, The National Pike, R.D. 2, Box 528 , Farmington, PA 15437; or telephone (412) 725-9190.


“Twentieth Century Ameri­can Prints Prior to 1945 From the Museum’s Collection” con­tinues through June 23 [1985] at the Pennsylvania State Univer­sity’s Museum of Art at Uni­versity Park. The exhibition features lithographs, etchings, woodcuts and silkscreens by significant artists, including Winslow Horner, Edward Hop­per, Paul Cadmus, Harry Gottlieb and Pennsylvanian John Sloan. Nearly half of the prints are recent acquisitions made possible by a gift of the university’s class of 1931. Admission is free. For more information, write: Museum of Art, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802; or telephone (814) 865-7672.


An exhibit entitled “Designed in Their Time: Tex­tiles of the Nineteenth Cen­tury” is currently featured at the Wyoming Historical and Geological Society in down­town Wilkes-Barre. Displayed are fine examples of quilts, coverlets, samplers and textile equipment from the society’s collections. Every artifact was either manufactured or used in the Wyoming Valley area and many have never before been publicly exhibited. “Designed in Their Time” continues through July 15 [1985]. To obtain fur­ther information, write: Wyo­ming Historical and Geological Society, 29 South FrankUn St., Wilkes-Barre, PA 18701; or tele­phone (717) 822-1727.


A seminar workshop pro­gram focusing on the history and re-enactment of the French and Indian War mili­tary life, the fourth annual Bushy Run Assembly will be conducted Saturday and Sun­day, June 14-15 [1985], at the Bushy Run Battlefield in Westmore­land County. Topics include French marching maneuvers and firings, period civilian long arms and period music. To obtain registration and agenda information, write: Bushy Run Battlefield, Bushy Run Rd., Jeannette, PA 15644; or telephone (412) 527-5584.


On view at the American Swedish Historical Museum, Philadelphia, is a display of traditional Swedish weaving emphasizing techniques and equipment. The exhibition continues through August [1985]. For further information and travel­ing directions, write: Ameri­can Swedish Historical Museum, 1900 Pattison Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19145; or tele­phone (215) 389-1776. Admis­sion is charged.


The Allentown-based Lenni-Lenape Historical Soci­ety’s “Roasting Ears of Corn Food Fest” will be held Sun­day, August 11 [1985], from 1 to 4 P.M. The nonprofit organiza­tion operates a multi-facility museum and complex devoted to the history of the area’s original inhabitants, the Dela­ware Indians. For more infor­mation, write: Lenni-Lenape Historical Society, Box 9, Fish Hatchery Rd., R.D. 2, Allen­town, PA 18103; or telephone (215) 797-2121 or 434-6819.


The nineteenth century Harmony Society’s woodwork­ing, silk manufacturing, pot­tery- making, and hat and shoe industries will be the topics of the summer dinner lecture series sponsored by the Har­monie Associates at Old Econ­omy Village in Ambridge. Given Thursday evenings, August 8-29 [1985], the three-hour presentations offer participants dinner in the historic formal gardens at Old Economy Vil­lage and stimulating lectures on the communal society’s material culture and commer­cial enterprises. Registration information is available by writing: Old Economy Village, Fourteenth and Church Sts., Ambridge, PA 15003; or by telephoning (412) 266-1803.


Through July 7 [1985], a delightful exhibit of antique hooked rugs, “A Lion on the Floor,” at the Brandywine River Museum features twenty-five fine examples of American decorative folk art. The color­ful – and often whimsical­ – handmade hooked, yarn-sewn and shirred rugs have been carefully selected for this show to demonstrate the richness in design and the variety in con­struction found in the folk art form. Emphasis has been placed on unusual rugs with animal motifs. A mock nine­teenth century interior demon­strates the ways in which hooked rugs were used in the home. To obtain additional information regarding visiting hours and traveling directions, write: Brandywine River Museum, P.O. Box 141, Chadds Ford, PA 19317; or telephone (215) 388-7601 or 459-1900.


On Sunday, August 4 [1985], Hopewell Village, a restored iron making community, will observe its forty-sixth anniver­sary as a National Historic Landmark. A highlight of the observance will be the lighting of the charcoal pit at 10 A.M. Costumed guides will explain some of the skills needed at the iron plantation when the great Hopewell Furnace was in blast between 1771 and 1883. For more details, write: Hope­well Village National Historic Park, National Park Service, Box 345, R.D. 1, Elverson, PA 19520; or telephone (215) 582-8773.


Artifacts, objects, news­paper accounts, photographs and official records exploring the major fires in Dauphin County’s history will be on view at the Historical Society of Dauphin County, Harris­burg, from July 13 [1985] through September 16 [1985]. The display fea­tures the great Capitol Build­ing fire of 1897, the State Hos­pital fires in 1859 and 1860, the Middletown conflagration in 1910 and many bridge fires­ – both intentional and uninten­tional. For additional information, write: Historical Society of Dauphin County, 219 South Front St., Harrisburg, PA 17104; or telephone (717) 233-3462. Society headquarters are located in the historic John Harris Mansion overlooking the Susquehanna River.


More than sixty pieces of master metalworker Samuel Yellin’s metal art – compli­mented by tools, sketches, presentation drawings and photographs of installations – ­will be on exhibit at the Luck­enbach Mill Gallery, Bethle­hem, from July 27 [1985] to September 1 [1985]. Samuel Yellin (1885-1940) immigrated to the United States from Poland in 1906 and set up his shop in Philadelphia. His commis­sioned installations included banks, office buildings, uni­versities, churches and museums. To obtain more infor­mation, write: Luckenbach Mill Gallery, 459 Old York Rd., Bethlehem, PA 18108; or tele­phone (215) 868-6311. The his­toric structure is administered by Historic Bethlehem, Inc.


“The Lincoln Image: Abra­ham Lincoln and the Popular Print” will be on view from July 29 [1985] through August 30 [1985] at the Historical Society of West­ern Pennsylvania located in the Oakland section of Pittsburgh. Until July 13 [1985], visitors can tour “Collected Treasure,” an exhibition showcasing recent gifts selected from the permanent collections. Admis­sion is free and group tours are welcome. To obtain addi­tional information, write: His­torical Society of Western Pennsylvania, 4338 Bigelow Blvd., Pittsburgh, PA 15213; or telephone (412) 681-5533.


The first annual Anthracite Symposium will be held at Lafayette College, Friday and Saturday, June 14-15 [1985], to explore the culture and tech­nology of Pennsylvania’s diverse anthracite region. Ses­sion topics include work, labor struggles, politics and urban development in the hard coal area. The event will be compli­mented by a photography exhibit. For more information, write: Dr. Richard E. Sharp­less, Northeastern Pennsyl­vania Regional Studies, Lafay­ette College, Easton, PA 18042.


In conjunction with the Westmoreland Museum of Art’s major summer exhibition opening June 9 [1985], “American Impressionism,” a series of five lectures will be sponsored by the institution’s Women’s Committee during June and July [1985]. Speakers will address various schools of the move­ment, as well as leading pro­ponents such as Childe Has­sam, Willard Leroy Metcalf, Theodore Robinson and Penn­sylvania painters Daniel Gar­ber and Edward Redfield. The exhibition, drawn from the extensive collections of Dr. and Mrs. John J. McDonough of Youngstown, Ohio, continues through Sunday, August 4 [1985]. For additional information regard­ing both the museum visiting hours and the lecture series, write: Westmoreland Museum of Art, 221 North Main St., Greensburg, PA 15601; or tele­phone (412) 837-1500.


A one day conference exploring the lives of several Pennsylvania religious leaders will be conducted Saturday, June 15 [1985], at Wilson College in Chambersburg. Individuals to be discussed include William Penn, Henry Melchior Muhlenberg, Gilbert Tennent, John Neumann, Isaac Leeser, William White, Johann Conrad Beissel, Richard Allen and John Winebrenner. Registra­tion information is available by writing: Louis M. Waddell, Division of History, Pennsyl­vania Historical and Museum Commission, P.O. Box 1026, Harrisburg, PA 17108-1026; or by telephoning (717) 783-9870. The conference is the Rose Hill Seminar for 1985.


A seminar entitled “Fraktur of Lancaster County, Pennsyl­vania” will be given by David R. Johnson at the Lancaster Mennonite Historical Society on Tuesday, July 16 [1985], at 7:30 P.M. A discussion will follow an extensive slide show depict­ing area fraktur artists. Advance registration is recom­mended. Additional informa­tion is available by writing: Lancaster Mennonite Histori­cal Society, 2215 Millstream Rd., Lancaster, PA 17602; or by telephoning (717) 393-9745.


The sesquicentennial of the historic 1835 Warrior Run Church building, near Turbot­ville, will be celebrated this summer with a variety of activities, including a Straw­berry Festival on June 9 [1985] and a “homecoming picnic” on July 27 [1985]. The landmark is the third structure to bear the name Warrior Run; the first was built in 1775 near Watsontown and burned by Indians three years later. More information on the anniversary festivities is avail­able by writing: Warrior Run­Fort Freeland Heritage Society, R.D. 1, Turbotville, PA 17772; or by telephoning (717) 649-5363.


Gettysburg Heritage Days, commemorating the one hundred and twenty-second anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg, will be held from June 29 [1985] to July 7 [1985]. During the nine days, special activities will include a living history encampment, lecture series, band concerts, parades and a special display of Civil War memorabilia. For additional details, write: Gettysburg Travel Council, 35 Carlisle St., Gettysburg, PA 17325.


The Stephen Foster Festi­val, honoring the renowned composer and Pennsylvania native, will be held Saturday, July 20 [1985], by the Greater Valley Chamber of Commerce at the Tioga Point Museum in Athens. Foster was a student at the Athens Academy in 1841 and wrote the “Tioga Waltz” while a four­teen-year-old student there. For additional information regarding the event, write: Tioga Point Museum, 724 South Main St., Athens, PA 18810; or telephone (717) 888-7225.


“Symbols in Stone: Lancas­ter County Grave Markers” explores the variety of styles and artistic motifs found on hand-carved gravestones from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. The exhibit, on view at the Heritage Center of Lan­caster County until November 16 [1985], features more than twenty­-five actual headstones and footstones, as well as photo­graphs. Information regarding visiting hours and group tours is available by writing: Heri­tage Center of Lancaster County, Box 997, Penn Sq., Lancaster, PA 17603; or by tele­phoning (717) 299-6440. Admission is charged.


Settlers Day Celebration at Old Bedford Village will be hosted the weekend of June 15-16 [1985] to honor the nation’s pioneers and founders. Activi­ties will include a wide variety of games and competitions, entertainment, demonstrations and refreshments. Old Bedford Village is a re-creation of a pioneer settlement in the southern Allegheny Moun­tains about 1794. For more details, write: Old Bedford Vil­lage, P.O. Box 1976, Bedford, PA 15522; or telephone (814) 623-1156.


One of the region’s oldest and most popular crafts festi­vals and exhibitions, “Dankfest,” will be held at the village of Harmony in Butler County on Saturday, August 24 [1985], from Noon to 6 P.M. The event, sponsored by the Har­monist Historic and Memorial Association, features tours of the historic district and the Harmony Museum, crafts demonstrations and carriage rides. Additional information may be obtained by writing: Harmony Museum, Main and Mercer Sts., Harmony, PA 16037; or by telephoning (412) 452-7341.


Two centuries of Lewis­burg’s industrial history will be showcased in an exhibition opening Friday, June 28 [1985], at the Packwood House Museum. Displayed will be products manufactured by the Lewisburg Chair Factory, Geddes and Marsh Foundry, Lewisburg Wollen Mill and Lewisburg Brick Yard. Fine examples of notable Lewisburg craftsmen, including weaver Benjamin Angstad and furni­ture makers David Ginter and Jackob Metzgar, will also be on view. For further information, write: Packwood House Museum, 15 North Water St., Lewisburg, PA 17937; or tele­phone (717) 524-0323. The exhibition continues through September 15.


The United States Regulars, a Civil War re-enactment group, will recreate a Union encampment on the grounds of the Slifer House Museum, Lewisburg, beginning August 31 [1985] and concluding September 2 [1985]. The re-enactment partici­pants will offer visitors a glimpse at the daily life of a Civil War soldier, including military drilling, cooking, washing and guard duty. A full-dress review and parade of the troops will take place the last day of the encampment. Admission is charged. For more information, write: Slifer House Museum, Lewisburg United Methodist Homes, Lewisburg, PA 17837; or tele­phone (717) 524-2271.


The fifteenth annual New Berlin Day will be celebrated in the Union County village on Saturday, August 24 [1985], with antiques and crafts shows, exhibits, an auction in the vil­lage square and entertainment. The event is sponsored by the New Berlin Heritage Asso­ciation to fund the restoration of the original 1814 Union County Courthouse. For addi­tional information, write: Nancy Showers, New Berlin Heritage Association, New Berlin, PA 17855.