Lost and Found

Lost and Found features brief profiles of historic landmarks and structures, one lost and one saved.


Opened in July 1929, the Hershey Park Pool­ – actually a combination of four swimming pools, including one for toddlers – held nearly one and a quarter million gallons of filtered spring water and mea­sured thirty-five thousand square feet! Virtually an engi­neering feat, the main pool (photographed in the early 1930s) was built in two sections. The handsome bathhouse, with tile roof and decorative turrets, housed two huge changing rooms outfitted with a total of nearly five thousand lockers. In 1947 alone, more than one hun­dred thousand bathers paid admission to use the facility, lo­cated in Dauphin County. The swimming pool closed in 1966, after which it was filled in and the bathhouse was demolished. The site is now a meadow.



The Racer was designed in 1927 by noted roller coaster genius John A. Miller for Kennywood Park in West Mifflin, Allegheny County. One of the most elegant racing coast­ers ever built in America, and costing more than seventy-five thousand dollars, the Racer was constructed as “a snappy ride that wasn’t too much for moth­ers and children.” Miller’s design features a single, continu­ous track with a reverse curve so that a train beginning on one side of the loading platform will finish on the other. Only one similar coaster in the world sur­vives – the Racer in England’s Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Kennywood Park, designated a National Historic Landmark in 1987, restored the original facade of its Racer in 1990.