Lost and Found features brief profiles of historic landmarks and structures, one lost and one saved.

Lost

For nearly seventy years, the S.S. Grand View Ship Hotel near Reels Corners, Bedford County, amazed, amused, and awed motorists traveling the Lincoln Highway. Sailing high along a ridge of the Allegheny Mountains, the landlocked ocean liner was the brainchild of Herbert Paulson, who launched the famous tourist attraction in 1932 On opening day, “Captain” Paulson welcomed aboard thousands of visitors-served by waiters attired in snappy naval uniforms – but business soon began dwindling upon completion of the Pennsylvania Turnpike. The foundering ship suffered years of neglect, prompting Preservation Pennsylvania to designate it an endangered property in 1993. The outstanding example of early twentieth-century whimsical roadside architecture, added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1997, burned to the ground on October 26, 2001.

 

Found

Cobbled in 1948 as Mahlon N. Haines’s most outlandish advertising gimmick, the Shoe House, near Hallam, York County, was modeled after a high-topped work shoe. Known far and wide as “The Shoe Wizard,” Haines established a footwear sales empire in southcen­tral Pennsylvania and northern Maryland that boasted more than forty retail stores. A familiar sight to Lincoln Highway travelers, the Shoe House contains three bedrooms, two baths; a kitchen, and a living room. Identified as an endangered property in 1994 by Preservation Pennsylvania, and entered in the National Register of Historic Places, the Shoe House is a premiere example of programmatic architecture in the United States. It also stands tall as a roadside monument to a flamboyant Pennsylvanian whose eccentricity and philanthropy reached national prominence in the mid-twentieth century.