Historical Societies: News and Highlights

Historical Societies: News and Highlights presents news and information about Pennsylvania's regional and county historical societies.

Lancaster Hosts Workshop

The Pennsylvania Federation of Historical Societies spon­sor a regional workshop November 1 [1975] at the Lancaster County Historical Society.

Dr. G. Terry Madonna of Millersville State College spoke the morning on “The American Revolution in Lancaster County.”

Three historical society representatives discussed “Edu­cation Programs for the Historical Society.” They were Norwood Miller of the Historical Society of York County, Sharon Westly of Berks County Historical Society and Donald Crownover of Lancaster County Historical Society.

Harry Rinker of the Historical Society of York County discussed “Legal Problems and Solutions.” The afternoon also included presentations by: Alice Stevens, Sus­quehannock Area American Indian Culture Center, on “Re­claiming Indian History in Pennsylvania”; Ed Weintraub, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, on “The Pennsylvania Register of Historic Sites”; and Conrad Wilson, Chester County Historical Society, on “Fund Raising and the Historical Society.”

 

Historical Society of Pennsylvania

Harold Durston Saylor of Mount Airy has been elected president of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania. Mr. Saylor, a member of Fairmount Park Commission, is a former judge of the Orphans’ Court of Philadelphia.

Judge Saylor succeeds Boies Penrose, who has resigned after serving fifteen years in the position. Judge Saylor has been a member of the Historical Society’s board since 1953 and vice-president since 1962.

The society is working on the completion of the modern­ization and expansion of its building at 1300 Locust Street and the cooperative Bicentennial exhibition with the American Philoso­phical Society and the Library Company of Philadelphia to be held in 1976. The cooperative exhibition will be held in the society’s building from April through November of 1976 and will be presented free to the public.

Judge Saylor is also current president of the German­town Historical Society, chairman of the board of Philadel­phia Conservation, Inc., and president of Friends of the Wissahickon.

 

Cumberland County Open House

The enlarged library and museum building was the site of an open house held by the Cumberland County Historical Society in September [1975].

The society spent over $300,000 on its property, located at 21 North Pitt Street, Carlisle. A wing that doubles mu­seum space and adds a 180-seat meeting room was completed. All parts of the building were refurbished and in some cases, given new functions. The museum was completely rear­ranged, and a large gallery established to exhibit major new accessions, valued at $80,000.

The society’s program plans for 1976 include:

January 15: “Highlights and Sidelights in the Life and Death of Major John Andre,” Roger B. Irwin, attorney;
February 18: “Through the Years on Cumberland County Roads,” illustrated, George R. Beyer, associ­ate historian, the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission;
March 18: “William Thompson – The General Whose Star Blinked Out,” Alan G. Crist, Colonel ARNG, retired;
May 6: “Look and Listen Program,” pictures of the forty-four historical markers in Cumberland County.

All of the programs are scheduled for 8:00 p.m. in the Todd Room, new meeting place of the society.

 

Warren County Museum

Warren County is well on the way towards developing a countywide historical museum. The former A. J. Hazeltine house was purchased in mid-September. The house is lo­cated on Pennsylvania Avenue West, next to the Kinzua Inn Motel. The house. built 1905-07, contains twenty-two rooms.

Title to the property is held by Warren County Commis­sioners, but the work of preparing it as a museum and oper­ating it as such is the task of the Warren County Historical Society.