Additions to the National Register of Historic Places

Additions lists cultural resources in Pennsylvania - districts, sites, buildings, structures and objects - entered in the National Register of Historic Places.

October to December, 1975


Allegheny County

Beulah Presbyterian Church – Beulah and McCrady Roads, Churchill. (1837) Congregation founded in 1794, present one­-story, brick, Georgian Church built in 1837. Interior contains much fine woodwork.

Cathedral of Learning – Forbes Avenue at Bigelow Boulevard, Pittsburgh. (1926-37) This 40-story skyscraper, done in the Gothic Revival style has magnificent Gothic interiors. The building has long been a Pittsburgh landmark.

Manchester Historic District – Bounded by West, North, and Columbus Avenues and Chateau and Bidwell Streets. Pittsburgh. (1840-1900) Middle-class neighborhood of Victorian houses.

Fulton Log House – Clifton-Bridgeville Road at Route 19, Upper St. Clair Township. (pre-1850) Small two-story log house with center doorway.

David Shields House (Newington) – Shields Lane, Edgeworth. (1816-1823) Large Greek Revival brick house. Early section built in 1816, two and one-half story section built in 1823. Has ex­tensive gardens designed by Samuel Parsons.

Blair County

Daniel Royer House – Route 866, 5 miles south of Williams­burg. Five-bay, stone, Georgian house with numerous additions, operated as an inn and contains much of its original appoint­ments.

Bucks County

Wrightstown Friends Meeting Complex – Route 413, Wrights­town. (1788-1845) Within the complex are a two and one-half story stone meetinghouse and a two and one-half story stone schoolhouse.

Calhoun Street Bridge (Trenton City Bridge) – across Delaware River between Trenton, New Jersey, and Morrisville, Pennsylvania. (1885) This 1,280-foot bridge was constructed by the Phoenix Bridge Company. The bridge consists of seven wrought iron pratt trusses.

Dolington Manor (Benjamin Taylor Homestead) – Washington Crossing Road, Newtown, Lower Makefield Township. (1738) A fieldstone house built by Benjamin Taylor. It has later additions and arcading on the facade.

Chester County

Warrenpoint – Route 23, Warwick Township. (1756) Early Georgian stone house with pent eaves and kitchen wing. Built by noted ironmaster William Branson, the house has been restored.

Hibernia Mansion – Hibernia Park, West Caln Township, (18th- 20th century). Constructed in four stages over a 150-year span, the structure served as the farm mansion for Hibernia Forge.

Oskar G. Stonorov House – Pickering Road, R.D. #2, Phoenixville. (1938) Oskar Stonorov, noted urban architect, built this modern multi-level house on the foundation of an old stone and frame house.

Cumberland County

Edward Shippen House – 54 West King Street, Shippensburg. (1755) Large, three-bay, stone house with massive gable chimney. A two-bay, 1790 addition gives the house balanced facade.

Dauphin County

Rockville Bridge – Susquehanna River, just south of Dauphin, Susquehanna Township. (1902) Longest stone arch bridge in the world. Built by the Pennsylvania Railroad, it has 48 arches and contains one-quarter million tons of stone.

Tabernacle Baptist Church (German Evangelical Zion Lutheran Church) – Capital and Herr Streets, Harrisburg. (1886, 1897) A Romanesque Revival style church, it features a three-story square bell tower, Gothic windows and doorways as well as oval windows with stone tracery.

Franklin County

Shank’s Flour Mill – 1 mile south of Route 16, east of Wayne Heights, Washington Township. (1857) Large two-story brick mill with cornice and modillions. Mill is still in operation using much original equipment.

Indiana County

John Sutton Hall – Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Indiana. (1875) Designed by James W. Drum in the Italianate style, the original four-story, brick structure consists of three wings joined across the symmetrical main facade, extending to a depth of 150 feet.

Lancaster County

Cameron Estate – Donegal Springs Road, Donegal Springs, East Donegal Township. (1805, ca. 1880) Original 1805 house hidden by later additions. Home of Simon and James D. Cameron, both U.S. Senators and Secretaries of War.

Montgomery County

Washington Hose and Steam Fire Engine Company, No. 1 of Conshohocken – 15 West Hector Street, Conshohocken, (1877) This fire station, built of brick in the Italianate style, is three stories high, has stone window and door heads, and a four-storv bell tower.

Susquehanna County

Starrucca Viaduct – LR. 57058 just north of Lanesboro. (1848) Oldest stone railroad bridge still in use. 1,040 feet long, 100 feet high, 17 arches, 50 foot span by 20 foot rise. Formidable example of early railroad engineering.

Tioga County

James Ford House – Cowanesque Street, Lawrenceville. (1831) The Ford House is a two and one-half story brick structure done in the Federal style. It is three bays across, four deep and has brick additions to the rear.

Venango County

Samuel F. Dale Home – 1409 Elk Street. Franklin. (1875) This two-story brick house is topped with a mansard roof. It is three bays across by two deep and has a two-story brick addition in the rear.

Westmoreland County

Brush Hill (Scull House) – 651 Brush Hill Road. Irwin. (1798) Col. John Irwin built this two and one-half story, gable roof, stone house in the Federal style. It has a two and one-half story stone addition to the rear.

Wyoming County

Old White Mill (Sterling Mill, Pinnock Mill) – off Welles Street, Meshoppen. (1852) One of a number of mills built along Meshop­pen Creek, it furnished flour and feed locally. The frame construction mill rests on a stone foundation with the interior being chestnut.

York County

Old Log House – rear of 157 West Market Street, York. (1811) Two and one-half story log house with large gable chimney. Much larger than the average log house, the interior has four rooms. and a hall on each floor.