Additions to the National Register of Historic Places

Additions lists cultural resources in Pennsylvania - districts, sites, buildings, structures and objects - entered in the National Register of Historic Places.

Adams County

John’s Burnt Mill Bridge – South Branch, Lower Conewago Creek, Twp. Road 428, Oxford. Triple arch stone bridge constructed ca. 1820. One of the few remaining such structures in the county.

Adams County Courthouse – Baltimore & West Middle Streets, Gettysburg. Two-story, brick building constructed in the Italianate style. Used as a hospital during the Battle of Gettysburg.

Great Conewago Presbyterian Church – Church Road, 1/4 mile north of Hunterstown. Constructed in 1787, this one-story, stone building preserves much of its original appearance. The interior is especially fine.

Allegheny County

Experimental Mine (U.S. Bureau of Mines) – Off Cochran Mill Road, Bruceton. Unique coal mine started by U.S. Bureau of Mines in 1910. The mine is used primarily as a large-scale testing laboratory. Many mine safety devices and accident prevention methods have been developed here.

John F. Singer House – 1318 Singer Place, Wilkinsburg, Pitts­burgh. Large medievalistic Gothic mansion erected by one of Pittsburgh’s steel barons in 1869. Has exceptionally lavish interiors.

Evergreen Hamlet – Evergreen Hamlet Road, Ross Township. Group of 4 houses built by a group of well-to-do businessmen who hoped to build a middle class communal society. Society collapsed in 1866. Four houses, built 1851-52, are excellent examples of Victorian architecture.

Gardner-Bailey House – 124 West Swissvale Avenue, Edgewood Borough. Constructed in 1864, this 1 1/2 story frame house is a catalogue of Victorian styles. Its square tower with a widow’s walk and elaborate ornamentation give it a charming romantic touch.

Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh (North Side Branch) – Alle­gheny Center, Pittsburgh. Large stone building in the Richardson Romanesque style. Built with funds donated by Andrew Carnegie.

St. John the Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church – 109 South Carson Street, Pittsburgh. Large brick church in a neo-classic style. Its large turquoise domes are particularly prominent.

Byers-Lyons House – 901 Ridge Avenue, Pittsburgh. Large mansion in the Chateauesque style built as a double dwelling.

Beaver County

William Vicary House – 1251 Fourth Avenue, Freedom. Massive stone mansion built by retired sea captain, between 1826-1833.

Bedford County

Espy House – 123 Pitt Street, Bedford. Erected in 1771 this house served as the office of General Arthur St. Clair, a noted Revolutionary War General. House was also used by President Washington as his headquarters during the Whiskey Rebellion.

Bucks County

Delaware Division of the Pennsylvania Canal – parallel to Dela­ware River, Easton to Bristol. This canal is the only remaining continuously intact, towpath canal. Built in 1828-1832, the canal was in operation until 1931.

Carbon County

Harry Packer Mansion – Packer Road, Jim Thorpe. 1874 Italianate mansion built by son of Asa Packer. Interior contains excel­lent Gothic woodwork.

Carbon County Jail – 128 Broadway Street, Jim Thorpe. Two­-story rusticated stone building with massive fortress-like walls. Scene of the imprisonment and execution of a number of the “Mollie Maguires.”

Asa Packer Mansion – Packer Road, Jim Thorpe. Large Victorian mansion built in 1860. Has large ornate verandah. Packer was a noted industrialist, politician, and philanthropist.

Chester County

Moore Hall – Valley Forge Road, Schuylkill Township. Fine mid-eighteenth century Georgian house built by William Moore, prominent colonial statesman.

Coventry Hall – Coventryville. Mid-eighteenth century iron master’s mansion constructed of dressed stone. Built by Robert and Rebecca Grace, influential developers of the early iron industry.

Simon Meredith House – Pughtown Road, South Coventry Township. Mid-eighteenth century house of a prominent Chester County family.

Samuel & Priscilla Townsend House – Route 100, South Coven­try Township. Large fieldstone house constructed in three sec­tions. Early-eighteenth century, two and one-half story spring­house is especially fine.

Dauphin County

Broad Street Market – Verbeke Street between Third and Sixth Streets, Harrisburg. Large stone and brick farmer’s market con­structed in several sections. Original section was built in 1860. In continuous operation since 1863.

Franklin County

James Finley House – Building 505, Letterkenny Army Depot, Chambersburg. Two and one-half story limestone farmhouse con­structed ca. 1778. One of the oldest houses in the county.

Indiana County

Old Indiana County Courthouse – 601 Philadelphia Street, Indiana. Large three and one-half story stone building in the Second Empire Style. Recently restored by the National Bank of the Commonwealth.

Lancaster County

Julius Sturgis Pretzel House -219-221 East Main Street, Lititz. 1784 stone house with two-story brick factory addition. Sturgis Pretzel factory begun in 1861 was the first commercial establish­ment for pretzel manufacturing in the United States.

Lebanon County

Old Tunnel – Tunnel Hill Road, North Lebanon Township. Oldest existing tunnel in the United States. Originally con­structed for the Union Canal which connected the Susquehanna River at Middletown with the Schuylkill River at Reading.

St. Luke’s Episcopal Church – Sixth and Chestnut Streets, Lebanon. Gothic Revival structure constructed in 1880, displays magnificent stone ornamentation.

Cornwall & Lebanon Railroad Station – 161 North 8th Street, Lebanon. Eclectic Victorian station constructed by iron ore millionaire Robert Coleman. Ironically this grand station served as a railroad with only 22 miles of track.

Mercer County

Kidd’s Mill Historical Area – Along Shenango River, 5 miles south of Greenville. Area comprises approximately 33 acres and contains the only covered bridge in Mercer County, constructed in 1868.

New Hamburg Historical Area – Shenango River Lake, 7 miles south of Greenville. Within this area of 159 acres is the site of the Village of New Hamburg. New Hamburg was the home of Ham­burg furnace, an important nineteenth-century iron industry.

Montgomery County

Knurr Loghouse – Meng Road, .2 miles south of Pa. Routes 29 & 73, Delphi. Early eighteenth-century log structure representative of typical Germanic construction.

Pottstown Roller Mill – South and Hanover Streets, Pottstown. Built in 1725 the Pottstown Roller Mill represents one of the earliest grist mills in Pennsylvania.

Philadelphia County

Girard College Complex – Ridge and College Avenues, Philadelphia. School for orphan males established by Philadelphia businessman, Stephen Girard in 1848.

Knowlton – 8001 Verree Road, Fox Chase, Philadelphia. William Rhawn residence designed by noted Philadelphia architect, Frank Furness in 1879.

Church of St. James the Less – Hunting Park Avenue at Clearfield Street, Philadelphia. One-story stone church constructed in the Medieval English Gothic tradition.

Warren County

Pennsylvania & Erie Railroad Station – 316 Chestnut Street, Warren. Built in 1868 and 1869, the Pennsylvania Railroad Passenger Depot is one of the few fine examples of brick depot construction remaining in Northwest Pennsylvania

Washington County

Margaret Derrow House – West Main Street, Claysville. Textbook example of simple nineteenth-century Carpenter Gothic house.

Regester Loghouse – Legislative Route 62176. Fredericktown. Constructed ca. 1870 this log structure consists of two two-story log houses joined in an “L” plan.

Montgomery House – West Main Street, Claysville. This two and one-half story mansard roof house, constructed in 1880 has exceptionally fine detail and ornamental woodwork.

Century Inn – Route 40, Scenery Hill. Two and one-half story stone building built in 1794 in “L”-shaped plan. Oldest extant tavern on the National Pike.

Joseph Dorsey House – 113 Cherry Avenue, West Brownsville. Constructed in 1787, this two and one-half story stone house has very fine well-preserved interiors.

Wayne County

Hill’s Sawmill – Intersection of Township Roads T676 & T662, Equinunk. Two-story frame sawmill built in 1873. Water-powered, it contains most of its original equipment.

Westmoreland County

Ligonier Line of Pennsylvania Canal – Conemaugh River north of Torrance. This 2 1/2 mile section of the canal is largely intact. This section was constructed between 1828-1830.


Cornwall and Lebanon Railroad Station Added to National Register

The Cornwall and Lebanon Railroad Station, built by the iron ore millionaire, Robert Coleman, was designed by architect George Watson Hewitt. Hewitt, in partnership with his brother William, was for many years dean of architects in Philadelphia, having designed such noted buildings as the Bellevue-Strafford Hotel, Academy of Fine Arts and Hahen­eman Hospital.

The station was constructed in 1885 with an addition being built in 1912. It is located at 161 North Eighth Street, Lebanon. Constructed of brick and dressed brownstone, the station has elaborate decoration in a variety of Victorian styles. The ornamental iron brackets supporting the porch roof are particularly interesting. Most of the interior fittings, including the fireplaces, wainscoting and moldings, have been preserved.

The extensive wealth of the builder allowed an architectural quality unique among small town railroad stations. It is also unusual that such a grand structure as the Cornwall and Lebanon Station was built for a railroad with only twenty-two miles of track. The station is presently used as a dress factory which is refurbishing the exterior.