Additions to the National Register of Historic Places

Additions lists cultural resources in Pennsylvania - districts, sites, buildings, structures and objects - entered in the National Register of Historic Places.

July to September, 1975


Beaver County

Matthew Stanley Quay House – 205 College Avenue, Beaver. This two and one-half story brick house was the home of Matthew Quay, United States Senator and one of the most representative and effective of the “political bosses” of the late nineteenth century.

Centre County

Gamble Mill – Dunlap and Lamb Streets, Bellefonte. This three and one-half story brick mill was built in 1894 on the founda­tions of an eighteenth-century mill. It is one of the few remaining mills in the area.

Clearfield County

St. Severin’s Old Log Church – Route 53, Cooper Settlement, Cooper Township. This small log chapel was constructed by Catholic settlers in the 1840’s.

Dauphin County

Penn Central Railroad Station and Sheds – Aberdeen Street, Harrisburg. The two and one-half story brick station was constructed in 1885-87. More significant are the steel and wood train sheds, very few of which are still extant.

Rockville Bridge – Three miles north of Harrisburg. Completed in 1902, the 3,820-foot-long bridge is one of the longest stone arch masonry bridges in the world.

Philadelphia County

Quartermaster’s Depot – United States Marine Corps, 1100 South Broad Street, Philadelphia. This five-story classic style building was completed in 1908. The building functions as a manufacturing and distribution center for military hardware and housekeep­ing supplies.

Union County

Slifer House – Off Route 15, one mile north of Lewisburg. Con­structed in 1861, this two and one-half story brick house is an imposing example of Victorian architecture. The house was de­signed by Samuel Sloan for Ell Slifer, a prosperous merchant and manufacturer.

York County

York Meeting House – 135 West Philadelphia Street, York. The York Meeting House was originally constructed in 1766 with ad­ditions being completed in 1783, making it the oldest extant meetinghouse in the county. The pre-Revolutionary building is a one and one-half story brick building with a gable roof and chimney.