The Paoli Local and the Birth of Pennsylvania’s Main Line

“In the year 1857, when the Columbia Railroad passed into the possession of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company . . . the local travel was very light, very few of the business men of the city having residences out of town,” wrote William Hasell Wilson (1811–1902) in his memoir of life as a railroad engineer. During the rest of the 19th and 20th centuries, Wilson, his family and the Pennsylvania...
read more

Pennsylvania’s Architectural Heritage: The Preservation Movement in the Keystone State, 1950-1981

As the last in a four-part series about Pennsylvania s architecture, this conclusion focuses on the develop­ments which have occurred in the field of preservation over the past thirty years. Although this temporal division may seem disproportionate when com­pared with the one hundred fifty years covered in rite preceding article. it has been dictated by both the incentives and challenges to...
read more

Lost and Found

Lost Designed in 1886 by acclaimed American architect Frank Furness (1839-1912), the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company’s passenger station in Philadelphia was largely completed within two years. The terminal, photographed in 1929, was located at Twenty-Fourth and Chestnut Streets. Passenger service from this grand depot ceased in 1958. Following a fire, the building was demolished in...
read more